Ocean Eleven Guest House has a fabulous location and is a brilliant base for exploring Hermanus and farther afield! During whale season, from June to November, guests can enjoy sightings of southern right whales, frolicking in the ocean below the property.
ACCESS & LOCATION:
Hermanus is usually accessed by road from Cape Town, a journey of approximately 120 kilometres. Ocean Eleven is located on the cliff road between the town’s old and new harbours, just 5 minutes’ drive from the centre. It is easy to find due to its magnificent appearance!
ACCOMMODATION & FACILITIES AT OCEAN ELEVEN GUEST HOUSE:
Described as Cape Cod style, the property is grey and solid, with tall, wide windows. Parking is available in the driveway, while the gardens include a back gate out on to the cliffs, perfect for a seaside stroll! The communal areas are spacious and airy. The high-ceilinged lounge features plenty of comfortable seating around a coffee table, a cosy fireplace, bookshelves, and wonderful views of the ocean. Artworks and ornaments add a lot of colour to the space, and a lot of interest too! The breakfast room has dark teak flooring and a predominantly white palette, encouraging guests to focus on the amazing vistas while they dine at separate tables. This space flows on to a deck incorporating the property’s sparkling swimming pool, perfect for cooling off while you watch out for whales, depending on the time of year!
Guest accommodation at Ocean Eleven consists of an assortment of rooms and suites as well as a two-bedroom apartment. All eleven units have ceiling fans, wall heaters, satellite television, a mini-bar, a tea-and-coffee station, complimentary slippers and dressing gown, and a hairdryer. On the ground floor, there are three standard rooms. Two are within the main house, with private garden access, while one occupies the property’s extension by the pool. All rooms benefit from a large double bed, bedside furniture and lighting, a couple of easy chairs, a table, storage space, and en-suite facilities comprising flush toilet, washbasin, and shower. The next category is the deluxe room. There are five of these, dotted around the house and extension. One ground-floor house room boasts its own patch of garden, while one first-floor house room has a balcony. The remaining three rooms are adjacent to the pool, two with a balcony apiece. The deluxe room is similar to the standard room, except its en-suite facilities include a bathtub as well as a shower. The loft of the original house contains two suites, both with air conditioning, bath, and shower. One suite is designed for honeymooners and includes sea views from the bath. Finally, Ocean Eleven’s apartment is next to the house and provides two bedrooms, two bathrooms, open-plan living/dining area, kitchenette, and additional lounge with doors into a private garden. This option is great for groups and families!
ACTIVITIES AT OCEAN ELEVEN GUEST HOUSE:
- Once you have settled in, you might like to chat with the staff about things to do in the area.
- Ocean Eleven does not provide an activities menu as such, but staff members are happy to advise and make reservations for you.
- If you are interested in getting closer to the whales, you could take a boat trip to see these and other sea creatures – penguins, dolphins, and seals!
- Sea kayaking is possible too, as is great white shark cage-diving for particularly adventurous travellers. On land, we recommend a visit to the Old Harbour Museum, which takes you back to 1855, when the town sprang into life.
- You can also find out about the history of fishing and marvel at the whale exhibition, which features a suspended skeleton!
- If you are here in August, you can experience the ‘Kalfiefees’, or Calf Festival, while the end of September sees another celebration of the southern right whales’ return to Hermanus.
- Both events include food and craft stalls, environmental awareness programmes, and drama productions too! Of course, the town’s beautiful beaches are accessible all year round, as are its cafés, restaurants, shops, bars, and lots of other activities such as quad biking, abseiling, and golf.