In the local dialect, ‘Dithaba’ means ‘mountain’ – and sure enough, this property has a lofty position within the reserve! Madikwe Dithaba Lodge provides a supreme safari experience, whether you stay here as a solo or couple, or choose to book all four suites!
ACCESS & LOCATION:
Madikwe Game Reserve lies in the north of South Africa, close to the border with Botswana. It is accessed from the international airports of Sir Seretse Khama (15 km north of Gaborone), O. R. Tambo (near Johannesburg), and Cape Town. Dithaba is situated at a higher altitude than the other properties and provides particularly sweeping views over the reserve from its communal building and guest suites.
ACCOMMODATION & FACILITIES AT MADIKWE DITHABA LODGE:
The communal building is a classic timber, stone, and thatch structure, with an excellent viewing deck. Here you can relax and enjoy a meal while taking in the spectacular scenery! Inside, there is an open-plan lounge-and-dining area, which includes comfortable chairs and sofas around a coffee table, a cosy fireplace, and a communal table where guests may dine together. With a palette of neutrals and greys, the interiors have a fresh feel and complement the lodge exterior and the surrounding savanna. We particularly like the use of tree trunks for wooden beams!
Guest accommodation at Dithaba consists of four suites, all linked to the communal lodge via neat tracks through the trees. As the suites are spaced 10–15 metres apart, there is ample privacy for everyone. Each uses similar materials to the main building and offers 110 square metres of floor space. The overall area forms a semi-circle, with the bedroom at the centre and the lounge and bathroom plus decking on either side. The bedroom contains a double bed or twin beds, bedside and wall-mounted lighting, and a fireplace shared with the lounge space, which provides a comfy sofa, rattan tables, storage furniture, and a mini-bar. The bathroom area features a separate flush toilet, twin washbasins, a bath, and a shower. On the decking, there is an outdoor shower, and a private plunge pool! All suites use the same palette as the communal areas, and two may be configured as triple rooms, with the addition of a sleeper couch.
ACTIVITIES AT MADIKWE DITHABA LODGE:
Dithaba provides some superb activities.
- Game drives are available during the early morning and late afternoon, while bush walks take place in mid-morning. If you have booked the lodge on an exclusive basis, family vehicle safaris are on offer in mid-morning too, though these are not possible for youngsters aged under 2 years. However, there is a babysitting service and a wonderful range of things to do for children, such as bush orientation, bug CSI, track pack with Plaster of Paris, dung tracking, baking in the lodge’s kitchen, making pizzas in the boma, star gazing, and games nights!
- Madikwe Game Reserve is a fantastic option for a safari holiday. The reserve occupies over 75,000 hectares of savanna and sub-tropical woodland, rising to hills and mountains.
- You can expect to see all Big Five species – lion, rhino, leopard, elephant, and buffalo – as well as numerous other predators and herbivores. From aardwolf to bushpig to cheetah to wild dog, there really is a lot to see here.
- The bird count is impressive too, featuring a fine assortment of raptors, water birds, game birds, and song birds.
- And if you like to take in a little culture on holiday, we highly recommend visiting the local primary school, which is supported by Madikwe Safari Lodge.