It is the largest property in Kariega and best suited to families and groups. However, if you are travelling solo or as a couple and you like spacious accommodation, Main Lodge could be a good option for you! Kariega Main Lodge is the least expensive of the five properties in Kariega Game Reserve – and we think it provides great value for money!
ACCESS & LOCATION:
ACCOMMODATION & FACILITIES AT KARIEGA MAIN LODGE:
The communal facilities at Kariega Main Lodge are found in a big timber building and include a lounge, restaurant, bar, curio shop, spa, and gym. The lounge has plenty of comfortable seating around coffee tables, as well as a cosy fireplace! The restaurant features elegant tables and chairs, and it adjoins Main Lodge’s bar. Keen shoppers will enjoy browsing the selection of souvenirs in the curio shop, while exercise enthusiasts will love the on-site gym. For a little relaxation, you need only head to the spa, or to cool off just jump into the swimming pool! There is an outdoor boma too, which is often used for al-fresco meals.
Guest accommodation at Kariega Main Lodge consists of 24 log chalets, all connected to the communal building by paths through the trees. Each contains one double bedroom and one twin bedroom, both with an en-suite bathroom. The bedrooms have air conditioning. Between them is the lounge area, which has sofas and easy chairs set out before a log burner. The décor includes wildlife art! Every chalet has a telephone, satellite television, a tea-and-coffee station, and a hairdryer – and 12 have a private pool! All benefit from a spacious private viewing deck, which provides amazing vistas into the Kariega river valley. None of the chalets has a safe for valuable items, but these can be placed securely in the safe at Reception.
ACTIVITIES AT KARIEGA MAIN LODGE:
- Activities offered from Kariega Main Lodge comprise game drives, guided bush walks, river cruises, fishing, and canoeing. You can also head out of the reserve to see plenty of local attractions!
- The game drives are available twice daily – early morning and late afternoon into early evening, with the earlier drive frequently including a river cruise. Bush walks, fishing, and canoeing tend to start at about 11 o’clock.
- There is loads of wildlife to see in Kariega – all Big Five, in addition to hyena, wild cat, zebra, giraffe, blue wildebeest, red hartebeest, baboon, monkey, many species of antelope, and hippopotamus!
- There is an impressive amount of bird species too.
- The Kariega and Bushman rivers run through the reserve, and these together with five distinct eco-systems guarantee a wonderful range of wildlife.
- If you have time to explore other parts of the Eastern Cape, you could check out the beaches of Kenton-on-Sea, just 15 minutes’ drive from the lodge!
- Two golf courses are only 25 and 50 minutes away, and the reserve is surrounded by towns with monuments and museums harking back to the Settler years.
*This property is unfenced and located in a wildlife area, so large and potentially dangerous animals do pass through. If you opt to stay here, always be alert when walking around the camp and request for a member of staff to escort you if you have any concerns. Any guest is escorted after dark as a matter of course.