YZ recommends MalaMala Sable Camp for guests seeking luxurious accommodation in one of South Africa’s most wildlife-rich regions!
ACCESS & LOCATION:
Sable Camp is situated in the MalaMala Game Reserve, which lies on the border between the Sabi Sands and Kruger National Park. The reserve can be accessed via air or road transfer from Johannesburg. Flights are also available from Cape Town. Sable Camp is located on the banks of the Sand River, amidst grasslands and plenty of mature trees.
ACCOMMODATION & FACILITIES AT MALA MALA SABLE CAMP:
Guest accommodation at Sable consists of six suites, including ‘Lion’s Den’, which has two bedrooms. In common with the communal areas, these are currently undergoing re-imagination. However, we anticipate that the camp’s high standards of comfort will remain. All units will offer 24-hour temperature control, a direct dial telephone, a mini-bar, a tea-and-coffee station, and a mini-safe. The en-suite facilities will comprise flush toilet, twin washbasins, shower, and bathtub. Lion’s Den boasts two bedrooms linked via a spacious lounge! It’s worth mentioning also that family rooms configured to sleep a third adult or two children are available on request.
The accommodation is suitable for most types of traveller, but the property does not accept children aged under 12 years unless it is booked exclusively. Families with young children might like to consider Main Camp instead, where all ages are welcome.
The communal building is elevated on stilts to ensure guests enjoy amazing views over the bushscape! Presently the interiors are being ‘re-imagined’, but we know that the facilities will include an air-conditioned library complete with satellite television, free Wi-Fi, and a DVD player. The safari bar and dining room will also be air conditioned, providing comfortable spaces in which to tuck in to drinks, snacks, and meals. Sable will retain its big viewing deck, from which guests will be able to watch all sorts of wildlife coming to quench their thirst at the edge of the river. There will be a filtered-water swimming pool just below the main building, perfect for a refreshing dip. And guests of Sable will continue to have access to the boutique and fitness centre at MalaMala Main Camp, only a short stroll away.
ACTIVITIES AT MALA MALA SABLE CAMP:
Activities from Sable will be as exhilarating as ever, thanks to the MalaMala Reserve’s abundance of wildlife.
- Guests will have ample opportunities to enjoy sightings on game drives and walking safaris, and on photographic safaris too.
- The 13,200-hectare reserve is home to all of the Big Five – lion, rhino, leopard, elephant, and buffalo! Other predators you can look out for include cheetah, hyenas, jackals, and wild dog. Herbivore highlights are numerous – giraffe, zebra, wildebeest, and a fine assortment of antelopes. Crocs and hippos splash about in the rivers.
- Keen birders will be in their element, as over 300 types of feathery friend have been recorded in the region! There are many special treats in store, not least hawk eagle, dwarf bittern, half-collared kingfisher, and croaking cisticola.
- It is certainly worth remembering your binocs for this colourful spectacle – and guests interested in participating in a photographic safari are encouraged to pack a camera too!
- Sable has invested in a new vehicle dedicated to this activity. It has three rows of two bucket seats, a sliding camera mount per row, bean bags to provide stability, storage space for equipment, under-seat lighting, and a photographic ranger to make sure you get some great shots to take home.
All activities are led by seriously good guides – their knowledge and expertise guarantees exciting sightings of MalaMala’s wildlife! Service standards throughout Sable are very impressive.
*This property is unfenced and located in a wildlife area, so large and potentially dangerous animals do pass through. If you opt to stay here, always be alert when walking around the camp and request for a member of staff to escort you if you have any concerns. Any guest is escorted after dark as a matter of course.