In common with the four other properties within the private Londolozi Reserve, Private Granite Suites (or ‘Granite’) is family owned and run. It’s the most luxurious property, and the most expensive too. In common with Tree Camp and Pioneer Camp, Granite achieved Relais & Châteaux status in 1993. Standards of service, food and drink, and guiding are phenomenally high! The suites are available for exclusive use. The accommodation is booked on a full-board basis, including all meals, a selection of alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks, two game drives daily, safari walks, one group yoga session daily at Founders Camp, the Cubs Den programme, transfers between camp and the Londolozi airstrip, and a laundry service. The camp is open all year round. There’s a minimum age requirement of 16 years, but when the accommodation is booked exclusively all children are welcome here.
ACCESS & LOCATION:
The property is accessed via road transfer from the local airstrip. It’s situated in the centre of the cluster of Londolozi camps. If we’re being picky, this is not as remote a location as we’d like for the price! Nevertheless the setting is fabulous – amidst granite rocks on the banks of the River Sand.
ACCOMMODATION & FACILITIES AT LONDOLZI PRIVATE GRANITE SUITES:
There are just three suites, each occupying a timber, stone, and thatch building, and offering 85 square metres of floor space. Every bedroom features a king-size bed or twin beds with mosquito netting, bedside tables and lighting, and a reading area with a lamp and a leather-studded granite-grey suede chair. The theme of grey continues into the lounge, which has a well-cushioned sofa and armchairs, a coffee table, an occasional table, and striking black-and-white photographs on the walls. Additional amenities include air conditioning, room fans, a telephone, internet access, a mini-bar, a safe, and a hairdryer. Washing facilities comprise separate flush toilet, large washbasin with mirror over, step-up shower, and bathtub with a view! Moving outside, each suite has a deck, with shower, bathtub, and heated swimming pool. The suites are positioned 15 metres apart, so there’s ample privacy here.
Granite’s lounge, dining area, and bar are found within the property’s lodge, another timber, stone, and thatch design. It’s set alongside granite rocks and uses a palette inspired by the natural surroundings to merge into the landscape. In the lounge, very comfortable sofas and armchairs surround elegant coffee tables strewn with books, plants, and some intriguing artefacts. There are occasional tables too, and a cosy fireplace beneath a beautiful picture of elephants. The dining area flows out onto a deck, where you can enjoy delicious food and drink while marvelling at the scenery! There’s also a well-stocked bar. And guests of this property have access to several of the communal facilities at neighbouring Varty Camp – the fitness centre, Healing House spa, boutique, Cubs Den kids club, and photographic studio.
ACTIVITIES AT LONDOLZI PRIVATE GRANITE SUITES:
The camp offers an exhilarating range of activities!
- Expertly guided game drives start out from camp during early morning and late afternoon, providing opportunities to explore the private Londolozi Reserve and encounter all its wildlife.
- All Big Five are in residence – lion, rhino, leopard, elephant, and buffalo – and the reserve is renowned for its big cat sightings! Smaller predators you can expect to see include cheetah, hyenas, jackals, and wild dog, and there are lots of other herbivores such as giraffe, wildebeest, zebra, and an excellent assortment of antelopes.
- Hippopotamus wallow in the Sand river in impressive concentrations, particularly during the green season.
- The water sources of Londolozi are also home to 45 types of fish!
- Birders can scan the skies, woods, plains, and streams for hundreds of types of feathery friends, among them raptors, songbirds, and waterbirds.
- Granite’s safari walks are highly recommended for anyone interested in taking a really close look at the smaller lives of the reserve – not only the birds, but also the plants and insects.
- You can also enjoy photographic safaris, village walks, and community visits.
- Yoga is possible at Founders Camp, which is situated just a short distance away.
- And children aged 6–16 years are welcome to pop along to Varty Camp, where they can take part in activities such as spoor identification, birdwatching, bug catching, African dance, and dung spitting, from the camp’s fun-filled Cubs Den!
*This property is unfenced and located in a wildlife area, so large and potentially dangerous animals do pass through. If you opt to stay here, always be alert when walking around the camp and request for a member of staff to escort you if you have any concerns. Any guest is escorted after dark as a matter of course.