Kariega Ukhozi Lodge is much smaller than Main, with many of the characteristics of the traditional safari property. It is particularly well suited to couples and honeymooners. Children are accepted, but the minimum age is 11 years, so we recommend Main Lodge for families with younger children. Ukhozi benefits from the same setting as Main, amidst beautiful wooded hills.
ACCESS & LOCATION:
Kariega Ukhozi Lodge is located just 5 minutes from Kariega’s Main Lodge, the largest lodge in the reserve. Despite their close proximity, the properties are quite distinct! The property is easily accessed on the N2 from Cape Town or along South Africa’s famous Garden Route. From Main Lodge, a driveway through the trees leads to the entrance of Ukhozi.
ACCOMMODATION & FACILITIES AT KARIEGA UKHOZI LODGE:
The communal building is made out of timber, stone, and thatch, very much in the classic safari lodge style. Inside, there is a lounge featuring winged leather chairs and more contemporary fabric sofas set around a cosy brick fireplace. This space adjoins the dining area, which contains a variety of tables surrounded by director’s chairs. There is a deck outside, as well as a boma, a courtyard, and a pool. The deck provides comfy seating, a wooden coffee table, and a telescope, so you can get a close look at the wildlife of the reserve! The boma is great for early morning and pre-dinner gatherings, while the pool is very pleasantly situated in the courtyard garden, at the foot of a waterfall and among rocks. A few sunloungers are set up in this area, perfect for relaxation in between activities!
The guest accommodation at Kariega Ukhozi consists of ten suites within log cabins. These are linked to the communal lodge by well-lit paths. Each cabin houses two suites. A few steps lead up to the entrance, and in the entrance hall you will find a wardrobe, a tea-and-coffee station, and a mini-bar. A king-size bed is positioned behind a wall – this bed can be converted into twin beds, if need be. Other furniture includes bedside tables, well-cushioned wicker sofas and chairs, and a coffee table. All suites have air conditioning, a telephone, and a safe. The en-suite bathrooms are very well appointed, with separate flush toilet, washbasin, shower cubicle, and shower over bath. A back door opens out on to a deck, with your very own plunge pool! Here you can not only take time to cool off, but marvel at panoramic views across Kariega as well.
ACTIVITIES AT KARIEGA UKHOZI LODGE:
Kariega Ukhozi Lodge, in common with Main Lodge, offers some amazing activities within the reserve.
- Game drives are available during early morning and late afternoon into evening – and the morning drive often includes a river cruise!
- Guided bush walks start out at about 11 o’clock, as do fishing and canoeing. Kariega boasts a real wealth of wildlife! Two rivers run through the reserve, and there are five different eco-systems, guaranteeing a wonderful range of predators and herbivores.
- All Big Five are in residence, together with hyena, wild cat, zebra, giraffe, blue wildebeest, red hartebeest, baboon, monkey, many species of antelope, and hippopotamus! The bird count is equally impressive.
- Additional activities are possible in the Eastern Cape region. For example, you can drive out to Kenton-on-Sea, just 15 minutes from Kariega Ukhozi, to enjoy some fabulous beaches.
- Golf is available on two courses, just 25 and 50 minutes away!
- And if you are a bit of a history fan, we recommend heading out to the local towns, such as Bathurst, Salem, Grahamstown, and Port Alfred. All have monuments and museums recalling the Settler years.