Situated in the west region of the Kariega Game Reserve, and booked on an exclusive basis, it is ideal for a large family or group of friends. Guests have their own private ranger and chef, so there is plenty of flexibility when it comes to activities and mealtimes!
ACCESS & LOCATION:
Kariega is easily accessed by road, with most travellers self-driving on the N2 from either Cape Town or Port Elizabeth, along the Garden Route. The reserve is clearly signposted and the roads to all five of its properties are well laid. Kariega The Homestead is fenced and the gate into the grounds is very secure.
ACCOMMODATION & FACILITIES AT KARIEGA HOMESTEAD:
The farm building has just one storey. Inside, there is a well-equipped farmhouse kitchen, complete with private chef! Among the sitting areas, there is a very pleasant pub lounge featuring comfy sofas, satellite TV, and a cosy fireplace. This area adjoins the bar and one of many dining spaces, which includes a long table where everyone can eat together. Kariega The Homestead also provides a boma, which is fantastic for al-fresco dining. There is a playroom too, and the lovely gardens contain a swimming pool surrounded by sunloungers – the perfect place to relax in between activities! Additionally, there is a fire-pit, and further areas for sitting, dining, and enjoying amazing views.
Kariega The Homestead has an impressive seven bedrooms. All sleep a maximum of two guests, in a king-size bed or twins. Each benefits from an overhead fan, bedside tables and lighting, a table and chair with mirror over, an easy chair, ample storage space, and en-suite facilities comprising flush toilet, washbasin, and either spacious shower or bathtub, or both! Most of the bedrooms also have double doors onto a veranda overlooking the garden – the veranda is rather narrow, but it is possible to sit out here. All rooms are individually furnished, with a homely feel.
ACTIVITIES AT KARIEGA HOMESTEAD:
- All safari activities offered by Kariega’s other properties are possible here, but having a private guide makes for very exclusive experiences within the reserve! Whereas everything takes place at particular times elsewhere, here you can set the schedule for each day.
- As well as game drives, you can enjoy guided bush walks, river cruises, canoeing excursions, and fishing trips.
- Kariega boasts a real wealth of wildlife. Two rivers run through the reserve and there are five distinct eco-systems, providing a home for an excellent variety of species.
- All of the Big Five – lion, rhino, leopard, elephant, and buffalo – live here, in addition to hyena, wild cat, zebra, giraffe, blue wildebeest, red hartebeest, baboon, monkey, many species of antelope, and hippopotamus!
- The birdlife is equally impressive. If you are here for more than a few days, you might like to consider exploring the local area outside the reserve.
- Just 15 minutes away, there are the beautiful beaches of Kenton-on-Sea.
- Two golf courses are situated only 25 and 50 minutes from Kariega.
- And if anyone in your group has an interest in history, it is well worth checking out local towns such as Bathurst, Grahamstown, and Salem, to learn about their significance during the nineteenth-century Settler years.
*This property is unfenced and located in a wildlife area, so large and potentially dangerous animals do pass through. If you opt to stay here, always be alert when walking around the camp and request for a member of staff to escort you if you have any concerns. Any guest is escorted after dark as a matter of course.