Madikwe Lelapa Lodge is one of a trio of properties known collectively as Madikwe Safari Lodge. All three properties are situated in the central-eastern region of the malaria-free Madikwe Game Reserve. Madikwe Lelapa Lodge is an excellent option for most types of traveller, but it is particularly fabulous for families!
ACCESS & LOCATION:
Madikwe Game Reserve is close to South Africa’s border with Botswana and is easily accessed from the international airports of Sir Seretse Khama (15 km north of Gaborone), O. R. Tambo (near Johannesburg), and Cape Town. Lelapa Lodge is positioned on a gently rolling hillside.
ACCOMMODATION & FACILITIES AT MADIKWE LELAPA LODGE:
A tidy gravel driveway leads to a classic timber, stone, and thatch communal building, which contains a reception area flowing through to the other public spaces. These include a comfortable lounge featuring armchairs and sofas around an ornate coffee table as well as a cosy fireplace in a corner. Adjacent to this room are a number of dining areas, again very pleasantly furnished. The building is open sided and has a lovely deck where guests can relax and enjoy amazing views over the reserve while tucking in to a delicious meal! Lelapa has a shop too, stocking clothes, curios, books, art prints, and more. In the well-kept grounds, laid mostly to lawns with a few small trees, there is a spacious swimming pool flanked by sunloungers, as well as further dining furniture under parasols. The pool is perfect for a splash-about!
Guest accommodation at Lelapa consists of 12 air-conditioned suites, spaced a good distance apart from each other and set either side of the communal building along neat little tracks. Also constructed from timber, stone, and thatch, these blend seamlessly into the landscape. Each offers a generous 100 square metres of floor space, room enough for a double bed or twin beds, bedside and wall-mounted lighting, a separate lounge area, and a bathroom. The lounge includes comfy seating, a coffee table, a fireplace, and storage space, while the bathroom boasts twin washbasins, vanity unit, shower, and bathtub. A flush toilet is separate from the main bathroom facilities and there is an outdoor shower too! Each suite also has a private deck with your very own plunge pool. Other in-room amenities are a direct dial telephone, free Wi-Fi, a safe, a mini-bar, and a hairdryer. Family suites include an additional bedroom for children, and triple rooms are available too.
ACTIVITIES AT MADIKWE LELAPA LODGE:
Lelapa offers some excellent activities.
- Game drives take place during the early morning and late afternoon. These are not suitable for children aged under five years, but youngsters aged over two are invited to participate in a mid-morning family vehicle safari.
- Mid-morning is also the time for bush walks, which are possible for guests aged 16 years and over.
- Madikwe Game Reserve occupies over 75,000 hectares of savanna and sub-tropical woodland, rising to hills and mountains. The amount of animals in residence here is very impressive!
- You can expect to see all Big Five – lion, rhino, leopard, elephant, and buffalo – among numerous predators and herbivores, ranging from cheetah and wild dog to wildebeest and zebra!
- The bird count is pretty special too, featuring highlights such as ostrich, secretary bird, and golden-tailed woodpecker.
- And guests who like taking in a little culture on holiday will appreciate a trip to the local school, which is supported by Madikwe Safari Lodge.
As well as the family vehicle safari, activities for children include bush orientation, bug CSI, track pack with Plaster of Paris, dung tracking, baking in the lodge’s kitchen, making pizzas in the boma, star gazing, and games nights! Drawing, painting, and model making are available in Lelapa’s Eco House, which provides both education and entertainment. Adults are welcome to participate too!
*This property is unfenced and located in a wildlife area, so large and potentially dangerous animals do pass through. If you opt to stay here, always be alert when walking around the camp and request for a member of staff to escort you if you have any concerns. Any guest is escorted after dark as a matter of course.