Thornybush Game Lodge offers safari experiences on a grand scale! It is the largest of 12 properties within the Reserve and possibly also the most luxurious! All types of travellers are welcome and families are well accommodated in either of the two family suites. The Lodge also benefits from a superb spa, which is shared with visitors to the other properties in the area.
ACCESS & LOCATION:
The Game Lodge is located in the northern region of the Kruger National Reserve and is accessed along a sandy track through trees.
ACCOMMODATION & FACILITIES AT THORNYBUSH GAME LODGE:
Constructed from wood, stone, and thatch, the property certainly has the look of a safari lodge – and on a very large scale! Timber beams are a prominent feature here, particularly in the open-sided seating and dining areas. In the indoor lounge, known as the winter lounge, there are fewer beams on show but plenty of wood furniture – tables, a bookcase, and a long shelf above the cosy fireplace. This room also has well-cushioned armchairs and sofas and is generally the perfect place to relax and curl up with a book! If you are here during the warmer months, you will love spending time in the Lodge’s big boma. This space combines comfy seating and elegant dining areas that flow out onto a deck – you can gaze across the Reserve and marvel at the beautiful river and the passing wildlife. With a curio shop too, in addition to that fantastic spa, the extensive conference facilities, and a spacious swimming pool flanked by glamorous sunloungers, the Lodge is very well appointed overall!
Guest accommodation at Thornybush Game Lodge consists of 18 suites and a couple of family suites, also constructed from natural materials. Both options offer air conditioning, a telephone, tea- and coffee-making facilities, a mini-bar, a safe, a hairdryer, and en-suite bathroom featuring separate bathtub as well as indoor and outdoor showers. All suites also have a private deck, with views of the river course or of the bush surrounding the river. Each Luxury Suite has a double bed or twin beds, bedside tables and lighting, and a seating area. The Family Suite option contains a lounge with a sleeper couch – this space functions as a second bedroom, for a maximum of two children aged under 12 years. The deck of each Family Suite is larger than the Luxury Suite deck, large enough to incorporate a private plunge pool! In addition to the suites, there are two pilot/guide rooms.
ACTIVITIES AT THORNYBUSH GAME LODGE:
Activities from the Lodge focus on game drives and walking safaris.
- The drives take place during early morning and late afternoon – the afternoon excursions continue into early evening, so guests have opportunities to spot some of the nocturnal wildlife of the Reserve!
- All of the Big Five are in residence – lion, rhino, leopard, elephant, and buffalo.
- Other predators and herbivores commonly sighted here include cheetah, spotted hyena, wild dog, giraffe, zebra, antelopes, and hippos.
- Fans of reptiles appreciate seeing crocodiles, rock pythons, and black mambas, while keen birders are kept busy looking out for any of 517 resident, migrant, and even nomad species.
- The Lodge’s walking safaris, which begin after breakfast, are a wonderful opportunity to check out all those feathery friends, as well as the Reserve’s insect life and plant life.
- You can also do a bit of tracking, following the footsteps of a leopard, perhaps, or a rhino!
*This property is unfenced and located in a wildlife area, so large and potentially dangerous animals do pass through. If you opt to stay here, always be alert when walking around the camp and request for a member of staff to escort you if you have any concerns. Any guest is escorted after dark as a matter of course.