YZ recommends Indigo Beach Zanzibar for travellers seeking a laidback beach vacation on one of Zanzibar’s best beaches! There are also a lot of opportunities to explore the island, taking in Stone Town and Jozani Forest.
ACCESS & LOCATION:
Indigo Beach is situated on the south-east coast of Zanzibar, 55 kilometres by road from Abeid Amani Karume International Airport. The property is just 30 metres from a beautiful white-sand beach – according to Condé Nast Traveler, this is one of the top ten beaches in the world!
ACCOMMODATION & FACILITIES AT INDIGO BEACH ZANZIBAR:
The property offers nine bungalows, eight of which enjoy direct access onto the beach. All are described as ‘villa style’, and they really are very spacious! Each features a ceiling fan, a safety deposit box, a tea-and-coffee station (at extra cost), and a lovely private garden. Six contain one bedroom and provide 60 square metres of floor space. This type of bungalow provides a queen-size bed and the option of one roll-away bed for a child sharing his or her parents’ room. Of the remaining three units, all available for family use, two are situated on the sea front and one is close to the hotel’s swimming pool. The floor space of both options measures 75 square metres, sufficient to accommodate a maximum of two adults and three children, in two bedrooms and a large Swahili-style seating area.
Indigo Beach’s communal facilities are located at roughly the centre of the site, surrounded by swaying palm trees. They include a restaurant where guests can tuck in to local specialties, tasty grills, and vegetarian options, all within the comfort of a Bedouin tent! Staff are happy to arrange private dining too, such as romantic evening meals. Refreshing soft drinks and cocktails are on offer at Indigo’s bar, which has views of the ocean. The property also has a shop, which stocks mainly souvenir items. The swimming pool is perfect for cooling off and is surrounded by relaxing sunloungers. At Reception, guests have access to Wi-Fi (for free), and to Indigo’s information desk, where helpful staff assist you in organising your stay.
ACTIVITIES AT INDIGO BEACH ZANZIBAR:
An excellent assortment of activities is available here.
- Among the watersports you can enjoy are kite surfing on the nearest beach and diving at a range of Zanzibar’s best spots.
- The beach stretches for several kilometres along the coast, and beach walks provide opportunities to visit local fishing villages and to meet their friendly inhabitants.
- You can hire bikes from Indigo’s Reception and explore inland.
- Excursions on offer include trips to Jozani Forest, which is home to a wonderful wealth of wildlife such as the endangered red colobus.
- You can visit Stone Town too, to see the Old Fort, Sultan’s Palace, the House of Wonders, and much more!
- Spice Tours are also available, generating interesting insights into the commercial history of Zanzibar.
- Indigo has a smashing little kids club, which features plenty of beach play. Babysitters can be booked at extra cost, and children’s meals can be organised.