Tloma Lodge is owned and operated by Tanganyika Wilderness Camps. This company specialises in comfortable lodges, tented lodges, and mobile camps in some of Tanzania’s most exciting safari destinations, not least the national parks of the Serengeti and Tarangire, and of course the Ngorongoro Conservation Area. Tloma has been awarded a Certificate of Excellence from TripAdvisor! The accommodation is booked on a full board basis, including parking and Wi-Fi.
ACCESS & LOCATION:
The lodge is accessed via 15 minutes’ road transfer from Lake Manyara Airstrip, or 2 hours’ drive from Arusha. It’s situated overlooking coffee plantations on the eastern wall of the Ngorongoro Crater, just 16 kilometres from the Ngorongoro Gate.
ACCOMMODATION & FACILITIES AT TLOMA LODGE:
Guest accommodation consists of 36 rooms, available in three options – standard (max. 3 guests), interconnected (max. 5), and garden view (max. 2). All rooms occupy various structures within the grounds, including a terrace and semi-detached buildings. The interiors are very spacious, and furnished in a cool contemporary style. Each features comfy beds with mosquito nets, bedside tables and lighting, cosy fireplace, and ample storage space. Nights in this mountainous region can be pretty chilly, so the fireplace is a particularly nice touch! Additional amenities include a fan, an internal telephone, complimentary mineral water, and 24-hour electricity. Room service is available. En-suite facilities comprise flush toilet, washbasin with mirror over, and shower – and a hairdryer is supplied. And most rooms have a veranda, where you can enjoy great garden views!
Tloma’s communal lodge houses a large open-plan lounge and bar. Here you’ll find plenty of comfortable sofas and chairs around coffee tables, a grand fireplace, and the bar with a line of chic stools. A few artefacts and some wildlife artworks adorn the walls, while lighting from modern chandeliers twinkles overhead. Some dining tables and chairs are set up in this space, but most guests opt to enjoy meals in the property’s al fresco dining area, tucking in to delicious buffet breakfasts, lunches, and dinners while marvelling at the beauty of the grounds! Teas, coffees, and cakes can be purchased throughout the day. Tloma also offers a massage cabin and a generously proportioned swimming pool, with sunloungers set up under shade nearby.
**Please be aware that the swimming pool here has no depth markings or 'No Diving' signs, so take care before you jump in!**
ACTIVITIES AT TLOMA LODGE:
An exciting range of activities is available at Tloma Lodge:
- For most of our clients, the highlight of the stay is a trip into the Ngorongoro Crater, for an expertly guided game drive! This involves heading off in the morning with a picnic lunch, and taking a full day to observe the wealth of wildlife within the spectacular caldera.
- All Big Five are in residence – lion, rhino, leopard, elephant, and buffalo.
- There are numerous smaller predators and herbivores too, such as cheetah, hyenas, jackals, serval, caracal, golden cat, wild dog, giraffe, wildebeest, zebra, and a vast variety of antelopes!
- Keen birders can enjoy spotting hundreds of feathery friends, not least the vast flocks of flamingo on the crater’s lake.
- Tloma offers treks too, comprising guided walks within the Ngorongoro Conservation Area. Many routes are available, including a stroll to the local waterfalls and a descent into the Empakai Crater. You can also take a day to visit Lake Eyasi, to meet the Hadzabe and Datoga tribes.
- The former is made up of hunter–gatherers, while the latter consists of herds people, related to the Maasai.
- Another cultural experience provided by Tloma is an afternoon walk in the company of a guide who can tell you about the local Wairak tribe.
- And close to the lodge, you can tour the vegetable garden and the coffee farm.