YZ recommends Endoro Lodge for travelers seeking luxurious accommodation with good access to the Ngorongoro Crater and Lake Manyara – as well as more than a few things to do around Karatu.
ACCESS & LOCATION:
Endoro Lodge has a fabulous location in the Karatu hills, with amazing views over the Northern Highland Forest Reserve. This area of Tanzania is usually accessed via road transfer from Arusha.
ACCOMMODATION & FACILITIES AT ENDORO LODGE:
Guest accommodation at Endoro consists of three types of chalet – single, double, and triple. All are detached and dotted around the property’s grounds. The single category includes a wood-framed double bed with mosquito nets, bedside tables and lighting, a cozy fireplace, a writing desk and chair, and a separate lounge area. The en-suite facilities comprise flush toilet, twin washbasins, indoor and outdoor showers, and sumptuous immersion tub! Outside, there is a private veranda, where guests can marvel at the views, including vistas of the night sky. The double and triple categories of accommodation benefit from all these amenities, as well as an extra bed and two additional beds respectively. All options have 24-hour hot water too.
Children of all ages are welcome and well accommodated in the Triple Chalet option.
The communal buildings are mainly made out of brick, and surrounded by the lush foliage of plants and trees. The interiors feature a lounge with plenty of comfortable seating around coffee tables. There’s a sophisticated dining area too, with adjacent bar. Guests can also enjoy some al fresco dining in the grounds. A swimming pool is available for refreshing dips between activities! The lodge is able to accept conference bookings of up to 40 delegates, and its meeting rooms come complete with all the equipment you could desire for a successful business event. Finally, Endoro has a curio shop, perfect for purchasing souvenirs!
ACTIVITIES AT ENDORO LODGE:
Endoro is well-positioned to offer a thrilling range of activities:
- Just a short stroll from the lodge, there are the Endoro River Nature Trails, offering opportunities for hiking, wildlife viewing, and plant identification.
- The Elephant Caves, formed by the grey guys digging into the hills to find vitamins and minerals, are also not too far away – and the caves are great fun to explore.
- You can check out the Endoro Waterfalls too, in addition to the lodge’s own banana and coffee plantations.
- Guests who like to bike will love cycling through the local village – and stopping on the way to visit schools, woodcarvers, brick factories, and distilleries.
- If you have a keen interest in culture, you could consider a cultural home visit – living as part of a local family, you can learn tribal dances, tuck in to traditional meals, and participate in stories of the tribespersons within the Ngorongoro area.
- Walks are possible along the edge of the Ngorongoro Crater rim, and as the main gate to the NCA is only 20 kilometers from Endoro guests can head out on game drives to see a wealth of wildlife!
- All Big Five – lion, rhino, leopard, elephant, and buffalo – are in residence, alongside numerous other predators and herbivores, and ample birdlife.
- Lake Manyara is 25 kilometers away, with highlights including vast flocks of flamingo and the famous tree-climbing lions!
- All activities from Endoro are expertly arranged, featuring highly knowledgeable guides who ensure you get the most out of your stay.
*This property is unfenced and located in a wildlife area, so large and potentially dangerous animals do pass through. If you opt to stay here, always be alert when walking around the camp and request for a member of staff to escort you if you have any concerns. Any guest is escorted after dark as a matter of course.