Owned and operated by luxury experiential travel company &Beyond, Klein’s Camp is an expensive yet high-quality option. If you visit outside the Great Migration months, we recommend combining a stay at Klein’s with a few nights at a property inside the Serengeti. Klein’s is one of the region’s best hotels, featuring superb service. The accommodation is booked on a full-board basis, including three meals per day, a selection of alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks, refreshments while on safari, transfers between Lobo Airstrip and camp, the WILDChild program for kids, and a laundry service.
ACCESS & LOCATION:
Klein’s Camp is accessed via a 2-hour flight from Arusha to Lobo Airstrip followed by a drive of about 90 minutes. It is possible to self-drive from Arusha and other destinations, but due to the prices charged to stay here, most clients are on flying safaris coming in from neighboring Ngorongoro (60 minutes) and Lake Manyara (90 minutes). Klein’s nestles into the rocky Kuka Hills, within a private reserve covering approximately 10,000 hectares.
ACCOMMODATION & FACILITIES AT KLEIN'S CAMP SERENGETI:
Guest accommodation consists of ten beautiful stone-and-thatch cottages with wooden floors and timber-framed glass windows, all very private and maintained to excellent standards. Eight are designed for a maximum of two travelers and include a double bed or twin beds, bedside tables and lighting, a seating area, and interesting wall artwork. The smart en-suite facilities comprise flush toilet, twin washbasins with mirror over, and walk-in shower. The one family cottage is essentially two cottages joined together via a protected walkway, creating an additional en-suite bedroom for a maximum of three children. And all cottages boast a lovely veranda – set with a table and chairs as well as lounge furniture, this is a fantastic spot for enjoying views over the hills, plains, and valleys of the reserve!
Klein’s Camp’s communal lounge and dining areas are found in a timber, stone, and thatch lodge, which is connected to the guest cottages along well-kept sandy pathways. The lodge is open-sided, so you can relax and tuck into delicious food and drink while admiring the spectacular scenery! In the lounge, there are sumptuous sofas and leather armchairs around coffee tables, a selection of reading material and board games, and a cozy central fireplace. This area contains a bar too, complete with old-fashioned gramophone! Steps lead up to the dining room, which features a long table where everyone eats together, although you can choose to enjoy dinner on your own veranda. Klein’s also has a safari shop, where you can purchase artwork, jewelry, wildlife books, and more. In-room massages are available for guests in need of a little pampering, while exercise fans will love the gym in a basket – a nifty way to keep fit on vacation. Outside, there are pleasant gardens and a gorgeous kidney-shaped freshwater swimming pool, flanked by sunloungers and a small thatched structure for a bit of shade.
ACTIVITIES AT KLEIN'S CAMP SERENGETI:
- Klein’s offers guided game drives within the private reserve and in the Serengeti, during mornings and afternoons. Both areas boast a wonderful wealth of wildlife!
- Among the species, you can expect to see are lion, leopard, elephant, and buffalo – four of the Big Five – and numerous other predators and herbivores.
- The birdlife is equally impressive, featuring specials such as Verreaux’s eagle, Hildebrandt’s starling, and Fischer’s lovebird.
- Walks and night drives are offered in the reserve, offering exciting opportunities to take a closer look at smaller lives such as plants and insects and to spot some nocturnal wildlife.
- And if you happen to be here at any time from August to November, you can enjoy sightings of the famous Great Migration, as the huge herds of wildebeest, zebra, and gazelles settle in to graze the Serengeti plains.
- All safari activities are led by highly knowledgeable guides, using open-sided vehicles.
- Community visits are possible too, and children can participate in &Beyond’s thrilling WILDChild program!
*This property is unfenced and located in a wildlife area, so large and potentially dangerous animals do pass through. If you opt to stay here, always be alert when walking around the camp and request for a member of staff to escort you if you have any concerns. Any guest is escorted after dark as a matter of course.
For further information, please contact a member of the YZ team.