Tarangire River Camp welcomes families and is suitable for solos, couples, groups, and honeymooners too! From its lofty position, there are amazing views over the sixth-largest national park in Africa, including its plains, swamps, woodlands, and the beautiful River Tarangire. Tarangire River Camp is a brilliant base for checking out one of the most wildlife-rich national parks in Africa.
ACCESS & LOCATION:
The camp is accessed via road transfer from Kuro Airstrip, a journey lasting just over an hour.
ACCOMMODATION & FACILITIES AT TARANGIRE RIVER CAMP:
The communal lodge is a traditional stone, wood, and thatch structure, raised high above the ground on sturdy stilts. A flight of steps leads into an open-plan lounge and restaurant area, similar to a classic mess tent but on a larger scale! In the lounge, there is lots of wood-framed well-cushioned seating and several coffee tables. The palette features neutrals, terracotta, and earth tones, for a very relaxing feel. The dining space includes a few tables of various sizes, all flanked by director’s chairs. At the back of the lodge, a few steps lead down onto a spacious deck with a ring of chairs and small tables around a central fire. This is where guests gather to eat, drink, and share safari stories! The deck also incorporates the swimming pool, with plenty of sunloungers as well as tables and chairs set up for outdoor dining. Of course the views from the deck are simply breathtaking!
Guest accommodation at Tarangire River Camp consists of 21 tents, all connected to the lodge by well-marked pathways. Three options are available – Standard Safari Room, Deluxe Safari Room, and Family Safari Room. All are raised above ground level, on a wooden deck. Like the lodge, each type of room has a thatched roof, which is great for keeping cool. The standards contain a king bed or twin beds with mosquito nets, bedside tables and lighting, a luggage rack, a private veranda with chairs and a coffee table, and en-suite facilities comprising toilet, washbasin, and shower.
There is just one deluxe room and it has a rather special location, around a big old baobab tree with superb views of Tarangire River! The deluxe room boasts an extra-length king-size bed, all the features of the standard rooms, and an outdoor bath and shower. It is fab for honeymooners, or as a treat for anyone else! The family rooms have either one king bed and two singles or one king and three singles, so they can accommodate a family of four or five. These too provide all the amenities of the standard option. All rooms are chic and comfy, using a pleasant range of colours and materials.
ACTIVITIES AT TARANGIRE RIVER CAMP:
A good assortment of activities is possible from camp.
- Tarangire National Park covers approximately 1,100 square miles and there is loads of wildlife to see here!
- On game drives, guests can look out for lion, leopard, cheetah, hyena, wild dog, jackal, elephant, wildebeest, giraffe, zebra, reedbuck, waterbuck, hippo, rock hyrax, and many more. Elephant appear in particularly impressive numbers and you might even spot a tree-climbing lion!
- Keen birders are in their element, as over 500 species have been recorded to date – highlights include ostriches, eagles, pelicans, lovebirds.
- The dry season brings all the animals to the water sources, so they are easier to spot, but during the wet season the park is at its most beautiful.
- In addition to getting to know the wildlife here, you can also take in a little culture, with visits to the local Maasai and Datoga villages.
The safari activities from Tarangire River Camp are led by the property’s impressive team of guides, who know the park extraordinarily well and are happy to answer any questions.