Serengeti Safari Camp is owned and operated by Nomad Tanzania, a company with over two decades’ experience in running small safari properties across Tanzania’s most famous national parks and game reserves. This camp has been awarded a Certificate of Excellence from TripAdvisor! The accommodation is booked on a full-board basis, including all meals, a selection of alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks, game drives, transfers between camp and the nearest airstrip, and a laundry service. Unlike other mobile camps in the Serengeti, this one is open throughout the year.
ACCESS & LOCATION:
The camp is accessed via road transfer from the nearest airstrip to its location at your time of travel. Daily flights into each airstrip are usually available from Arusha Airport or Dar es Salaam. Serengeti Safari Camp sets up as close to the Great Migration as possible. The property is situated on the park’s southern plains from December to March, entering the Moru Kopjes region for April and May. Come June and July, it’s close to the Grumeti river, and from August to November it focuses on the herds’ crossings over the famous River Mara! Please contact us for more information on when to go.
ACCOMMODATION & FACILITIES AT SERENGETI SAFARI CAMP:
Guest accommodation at all sites consists of six tents, including one tent for family use. These are Meru style, which means an outer layer of canvas extends over the inner layer to create a pleasant veranda. Set with campaign chairs and a small table, the veranda is a fantastic spot for relaxing and enjoying your views over the Serengeti! Inside each standard tent, there’s a comfy double bed or twin beds, bedside tables and lighting, a writing desk and chair, and luggage racks. The family tent benefits from an additional bedroom for children and an interlinking lounge. Every tent’s en-suite facilities are found at the back of the structure and comprise flush toilet, washbasin within vanity unit, and separate bucket shower!
Serengeti Safari Camp’s communal spaces are just as comfortable as the guest accommodation. The library tent contains a large sofa and various chairs, storage trunks put to use as occasional tables, a selection of reading material, and a well-stocked bar! This tent has a veranda too, perfect for marvelling at the scenery. In the dining tent, a long table is flanked with campaign chairs, ready for communal meals. Guests can eat al fresco too, and evening meals are usually enjoyed around the fire-pit. The general atmosphere of this authentic little camp is brilliant – guests feel at one with nature, really part of the bush experience.
ACTIVITIES AT SERENGETI SAFARI CAMP:
- There’s just one activity available here – game drives! These take place during early morning and late afternoon, with the additional option of requesting a picnic lunch and staying in the park all day. The main aim is to observe the spectacular Great Migration, although it’s worth noting that the Serengeti boasts a vast amount of other wildlife.
- Highlights, depending on your location, include all the big cats, mighty elephant and buffalo, hyena and jackal, wild dog, an astonishing assortment of antelopes, and oodles of birds!
- If you’re here from December to March, you’ll see the migration’s huge herds of wildebeest, zebra, and gazelles settling on the southern short-grass plains, with calving taking place around February.
- In April and May, the herds move into the Moru Kopjes region, and the rutting season begins!
- Both June–July and August–November are river-crossing periods, with the herds traversing the Grumeti and then the Mara river. All drives are accompanied by expert safari guides, who are happy to share their knowledge with you along the way.
*This property is unfenced and located in a wildlife area, so large and potentially dangerous animals do pass through. If you opt to stay here, always be alert when walking around the camp and request for a member of staff to escort you if you have any concerns. Any guest is escorted after dark as a matter of course.