As its name suggests, it is situated on a ridge – and the views are nothing short of spectacular! Mpingo Ridge is owned and operated by Lemala, a company with an impressive portfolio. Mara Camp, Ndutu Camp, and Wildwaters Lodge are just three of Lemala’s successes, all earning five stars from YZ.
ACCESS & LOCATION:
The property is accessed by road transfer from Kuro Airstrip, a journey of 20 minutes.
ACCOMMODATION & FACILITIES AT LEMALA MPINGO RIDGE:
A few steps lead up into the communal structure, which features a wooden deck with a cream canvas roof and timber supports – not unlike a ship with a billowing sail. Inside, there is a lounge area with plenty of plush sofas, armchairs, and pouffes around coffee tables, as well as a fireplace and the lodge’s bar. Adjacent to this space is the inside dining area, with chic separate tables and upright chairs. The palette throughout the main structure is mainly neutrals and browns, which brings out all the colour of the exquisite natural surroundings. Guests can eat outside too, on the deck – and there’s also a sparkling plunge pool. We are told that the property has a spa and a shop, and we’ll provide additional information on these facilities as soon as it becomes available.
Guest accommodation at Mpingo Ridge consists of 15 tented suites, 14 to sleep two/three adults and one for a family. All are positioned to maximise both the views and the cooling winds that sweep over the ridge during the dry season. Each unit has a few steps up to a sunken wooden deck, which functions as a lounge area. The interiors feature a king-size bed or twin beds, and five suites have a sofa bed to accommodate a third person. There is also a writing desk and chair, complete with multi-plugs and complimentary stationery. Other amenities include mosquito nets, a tea-and-coffee station, a mini-bar, a hairdryer, and free Wi-Fi. The en-suite facilities comprise flush toilet, twin washbasins, inside and outside showers, and a bathtub on a private area of the deck. The family unit benefits from all the features of the standard tent, in addition to a second bedroom.
ACTIVITIES AT LEMALA MPINGO RIDGE:
Mpingo Ridge offers an exciting assortment of activities:
- Game drives, by day and by night, take place in Tarangire.
- There is plenty to see in this enormous national park, such as four of the famous Big Five – lion, leopard, elephant, and buffalo. Other predators include cheetah, hyena, serval, caracal, jackals, and wild dog.
- The herbivore count is equally impressive! Giraffe, wildebeest, zebra, gazelles, antelopes… there seems to be no end to the grazers here.
- Hippos and crocs can be spotted in the Tarangire river.
- And the birding is nothing short of brilliant, with highlights including tawny eagle, red-and-yellow barbet, orange-bellied parrot, ashy starling, and speckle-fronted weaver.
- These sightings and more can be enjoyed on walking safaris too, the perfect pastime for safarists who want to take a closer look at Tarangire.
- Picnic breakfasts and lunches are available, and sundowners are a wonderful way to end your day in the bush.
- And in common with many other Lemala properties, Mpingo Ridge offers the Lemala Cubs programme.
- Things to keep the little ones busy include animal and bird identification, spear throwing, bow-and-arrows making, nature walks, and cooking with the lodge’s chefs.
- These activities are offered to children aged up to 11 years.