Lemala Ngorongoro Tented Camp is one of our favourite properties from the portfolio of Lemala Authentic Camps and Lodges. In common with all Lemala properties, it’s able to offer superb safari experiences from a peaceful base. The camp has been awarded a Certificate of Excellence from TripAdvisor! The accommodation is booked on a full-board basis, including all meals, a selection of alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks, Wi-Fi, and a laundry service. Children aged 5–16 years incur a reduced rate – please contact us for details.
ACCESS & LOCATION:
The camp is usually accessed via 1 hour’s road transfer from Lake Manyara Airstrip. It has a lovely location in a grove of acacia trees on the eastern rim of the Ngorongoro Crater, close to the descent road into the Crater itself.
ACCOMMODATION & FACILITIES AT LEMALA NGORONGORO TENTED CAMP:
Guest accommodation consists of 12 canvas tents, all positioned to one side of the mess tent. These are Meru in style – an outer layer of canvas extends over the inner layer to create a private veranda. Set with campaign chairs and a small table, the veranda is a great spot for relaxing with a drink while enjoying your forest views! The first thing that greets you on entering the tent is a coffee table, which forms part of a lounge area including a comfy sofa, a tea-and-coffee station, and a writing desk and chair complete with anglepoise lamp. The sofa backs onto two queen-size beds, and in the bedroom space you’ll find a couple of explorer’s chests functioning as bedside tables, with lighting on top. There’s overhead lighting too. Snug rugs adorn the floor, and a gas heater provides some necessary warmth during the chillier months of the year! The palette is neutrals with splashes of Maasai red and some patterned fabrics. Each tent’s en-suite washroom is accessed through a canvas screen at the back of the bedroom space, and facilities comprise flush toilet, washbasin as part of a vanity unit, and walk-in shower. This area also contains a metal-and-canvas storage unit, with hanging space as well as open shelves. Triple rooms are available on request.
Ngorongoro Tented Camp’s communal lounge and dining areas occupy the property’s pleasant mess tent, which also has a veranda where you can marvel at the views! Inside, the lounge contains comfortable sofas, armchairs, and campaign chairs around coffee tables and explorer’s chests. It’s conveniently set up close to the camp’s bar, with the dining area on the other side of the tent. The dining area features a long table, where everyone eats together. Breakfast features a selection of hot and cold dishes, while lunch tends to be quiches and salads. Dinners are super-tasty and satisfying, and sometimes presented as a barbecue in the grounds of the camp. They often take place following drinks around the campfire, which involve both guides and guests sharing stories of their safari day!
ACTIVITIES AT LEMALA NGORONGORO TENTED CAMP:
- The camp is perfectly positioned for travellers hoping to be among the first to arrive in the Ngorongoro Crater on any day. With vehicles starting out at 06:15, you can easily get to the Crater by 06:30! This makes for a full hour or so in which to explore the area in relative quiet, and to make the most of photo opportunities before all the other 4×4s turn up.
- The Crater is home to all Big Five species – lion, rhino, leopard, elephant, and buffalo.
- Smaller predators include cheetah, hyenas, jackals, serval, caracal, golden cat, and wild dog, while additional herbivores feature giraffe, wildebeest, zebra, and an astounding assortment of antelopes!
- There’s plenty of bird life too – raptors, waterbirds, songbirds, and many other groups of feathery friends.
- Guests can also take part in walks along the Crater rim and hikes in the forests, all in the company of a ranger and a Maasai.
- And children can participate in Lemala’s Cubs programme, which offers spear throwing, using a bow-and-arrows, tracking around camp, roasting marshmallows around the campfire, and going on kids-friendly morning game drives!
*This property is unfenced and located in a wildlife area, so large and potentially dangerous animals do pass through. If you opt to stay here, always be alert when walking around the camp and request for a member of staff to escort you if you have any concerns. Any guest is escorted after dark as a matter of course.