Nimali Tarangire is owned and operated by Nimali Africa, which also runs Nimali Central Serengeti. The word Nimali means ‘wealth’, reflecting the company’s view that nature is Africa’s finest asset. Nimali Tarangire has been awarded a Certificate of Excellence from TripAdvisor. The accommodation is booked on a full-board basis, including all meals, a selection of alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks, most activities, parking, Wi-Fi, and a laundry service.
ACCESS & LOCATION:
The camp is accessed via flight from Arusha to Kuro airstrip (20 minutes) or Lake Manyara airstrip (30 minutes), followed by a drive of 3 hours from Kuro or 1 hour from Lake Manyara. Road transfer from Arusha’s airport takes about 2 hours 30 minutes, and from Kilimanjaro’s airport, the journey time is 4 hours. Nimali Tarangire is situated on the banks of a seasonal river within its own concession, on Tarangire N.P.’s eastern boundary.
ACCOMMODATION & FACILITIES AT NIMALI TARANGIRE:
Guest accommodation consists of six tented suites, spaced along the river banks. Each is set up on a sturdy concrete, stone, and wood-look tile plinth, with the area in front of the tent entrance serving as a private deck complete with two cowskin chairs and a table. The tiles continue into the tent and are covered by matting in places. Interior furnishings and amenities feature a king-size bed or twin beds, bedside tables and lighting, a writing desk and chair, comfy armchairs, a fan, an electronic safe, a hairdryer, torches, and insect repellent. The en-suite facilities comprise flush toilet, twin washbasins, and rainfall shower with hot water available 24/7. Free toiletries are provided, including bar and liquid soap as well as body lotion. Although there is no family tent, two of the tents are pretty close together, and three tents are sufficiently spacious to accommodate an extra bed.
Nimali Tarangire’s communal lodge building features the same wood-effect tiling as the guest tents, in addition to wood-and-canvas walls and an immaculately thatched roof. Inside, the lounge contains comfortable sofas and armchairs around coffee tables, pictures of plants, and a selection of reading material. In the dining area, chic separate tables are flanked by smart rattan chairs, and more plant artwork adorns the walls. A short walk from the lodge, you’ll find the fire-pit boma, where guests often gather for sundowner drinks before dinner. Nimali Tarangire also has a swimming pool with sun loungers and parasols alongside – this is the perfect place to relax in between activities! And if you’re in need of a little pampering, a range of therapies from Essence Spa is available, booked in advance.
ACTIVITIES AT NIMALI TARANGIRE:
The camp offers an exciting variety of wildlife and culture activities.
- Vehicle safaris are possible both within the reserve and in Tarangire National Park, providing opportunities to see a real wealth of wildlife! Just a few highlights include North Tanzania’s largest population of elephants, huge herds of buffalo, lots of big cats, smaller predators such as cheetah and wild dog, and an abundance of plains game – giraffe, wildebeest, zebra, eland, impala, and gazelles.
- You can go on a night drive in the area around camp, enjoying sightings of leopard, honey badger, bushbaby, and many more.
- Birdwatching tours are available too – specials include ashy starling, rufous-tailed weaver, and yellow-collared lovebird.
- Walking safaris are fantastic for getting to know the region’s mammals, birds, plants, and insects in astonishing detail!
- Adventurous guests will love fly camping here, while anyone interested in a bird’s-eye view over Tarangire is well advised to book a hot air balloon safari – launching at dawn, after a couple of hours in the air you’ll descend to a delicious hot bush breakfast.
- Culture enthusiasts can visit the local community, specifically a village and a school, to gain insights into ways of life in this part of Africa, and you can also take a trip to a neighboring Maasailand boma.
- Excursions to other wildlife areas are offered too – to Lake Manyara National Park and to the spectacular Ngorongoro Conservation Area!
*This property is unfenced and located in a wildlife area, so large and potentially dangerous animals do pass through. If you opt to stay here, always be alert when walking around the camp and request for a member of staff to escort you if you have any concerns. Any guest is escorted after dark as a matter of course.