Rhotia Valley Tented Lodge was established by Joris (aka George) and Marise Koch in 2007. The Kochs, both medical practitioners, set up the property with the intention of generating revenue for the children’s home they founded at the same time, on a hill opposite the lodge. Their motto is ‘Two Hills, One Goal’. The property has received numerous awards, such as a Certificate of Excellence from TripAdvisor! Accommodation can be booked on a half- or full-board basis. Children aged 3–12 years incur a reduced rate, and youngsters aged 2 years and younger stay for free!
ACCESS & LOCATION:
The lodge can be accessed via 2 hours’ drive from Arusha. It has a spectacular location on a hilltop just outside Karatu, on the border with the Ngorongoro forest. Staff are happy to organize transfers from Arusha, Lake Manyara Airstrip, Kilimanjaro Airport, Nairobi, and Dar es Salaam.
ACCOMMODATION & FACILITIES AT RHOTIA VALLEY TENTED LODGE:
There are 15 tented rooms for guests, positioned on the hillside. Each is raised above ground level on wooden decking. A thatch roof extends over the inner canvas tent to create a lovely shady private veranda, with amazing views over Ngorongoro! There are three room categories – double/twin, honeymoon, and family. In every double or twin room, bedside lighting is positioned on the headboard/s, and there’s a comfy chair, a storage unit, colorful soft furnishings, and a rug for a homely feel. The en-suite facilities comprise flush toilet, washbasin with mirror over, and step-up shower, which is separated from the toilet via a bamboo screen. The honeymoon tent is essentially a double tent with a nicely secluded location and the option of surprising your partner with a bottle of champagne and/or a fruit basket! The family tent is sufficiently spacious to accommodate a maximum of two adults and two children.
Rhotia Valley Tented Lodge’s communal spaces are housed in a classic timber-and-thatch structure, linked to the guest tents along neat pathways. In the dining area, individual wooden tables are flanked by campaign chairs, and the open-plan design of the lodge allows guests to interact with cheerful chefs while they’re preparing delicious meals! Breakfasts usually involve cereals, fruits, and eggs to order, while lunches are two or three courses – many guests opt to enjoy a picnic lunch during a full-day safari. Dinner is always eaten at the lodge, using ingredients from the property’s own vegetable and herb gardens. You can also eat and drink al fresco! The bar lounge contains well-cushioned wood-framed and wicker seating around coffee tables, as well as a cozy brick fireplace. This space flows out onto a terrace, which is set with additional lounge and dining furniture. A short stroll from the main building, there’s a sparkling swimming pool, the perfect place to relax between activities. And the lodge can be booked exclusively for business use – for more information, please contact a member of our team.
ACTIVITIES AT RHOTIA VALLEY TENTED LODGE:
- Situated just half an hour by road from both the Ngorongoro Crater and Lake Manyara, Rhotia Valley Tented Lodge is ideal for travelers hoping to go on safari in these areas.
- The Crater is home to all Big Five – lion, rhino, leopard, elephant, and buffalo – in addition to numerous smaller predators and herbivores, and abundant birdlife!
- Lake Manyara is considered one of the prettiest parks in Tanzania, and its highlights include vast flocks of flamingos and the famous tree-climbing lions.
- The lodge offers guided nature walks in the local fields, with opportunities to meet the farmers of the area and to learn about their daily lives.
- Hikes are possible too, typically through the Ngorongoro forests in the company of a professional ranger.
- You can pause for a well-earned break and snacks at Coffee Corner, a pleasant eatery owned by the Kochs.
- And we thoroughly recommend fitting in a visit to Rhotia Valley’s children’s home, and climbing aboard the Zebra Bus to ride to the school!
*This property is unfenced and located in a wildlife area, so large and potentially dangerous animals do pass through. If you opt to stay here, always be alert when walking around the camp and request for a member of staff to escort you if you have any concerns. Any guest is escorted after dark as a matter of course.