Legendary Serengeti West is operated by Tanzanian camp managers alongside its sister properties that move between three locations - the North, South & West - depending on where the herds of the Great Migration are. The accommodation is booked on a full-board basis, including all meals, a selection of alcoholic and soft drinks, game drives, and a light laundry service. A child rate applies to guests aged 4–15 years, and youngsters aged 3 years and younger stay for free!
Please note, there is no single supplement, and the camp is open from mid-May to mid-July. NB: The South camp is open from December to April and the North Camp is open from mid-July until 30th November.
ACCESS & LOCATION:
The camp is accessed via 45 minutes’ road transfer from Grumeti Airstrip. It’s situated within the Serengeti’s Western Corridor, ideal for anyone wishing to witness the rutting season and crossings of the Grumeti river.
ACCOMMODATION & FACILITIES AT LEGENDARY SERENGETI MOBILE CAMP WEST:
There are 11 standard tents and one family unit, divided into two sub-camps as 6 and 5 or 7 and 4 in addition to the family tent where required. All standard tents have a double bed with mosquito nets, bedside tables and lighting, end-bed seating, a wardrobe, a storage chest, and a tea-and-coffee station. Feet-friendly rugs are spread out on the floor. The tent has curtains for night-time use, and also to ensure guests keep cool during the day. The en-suite washroom, accessed through a zipped opening to the side of the tent, contains toilet, washbasin/s, and classic bucket shower. At the front of the tent, a zipped door leads out on to a private seating area, which is fantastic for watching the wildlife wander by! The family tent benefits from all these furnishings and amenities, as well as additional space for children.
Each sub-camp at Legendary Serengeti West has its own mess tent. This structure is open sided and has a well-cushioned sofa and armchairs around a coffee table, a dining table flanked by campaign-style chairs, and a bar. There’s also some reading material, in addition to wildlife artwork, a mobile phone signal, Wi-Fi, and, of course, amazing views of the Western Corridor! A fire-pit is usually positioned just a short stroll from each mess tent and offers an alternative venue for social gatherings. It’s the perfect place for enjoying a drink and sharing your safari stories.
ACTIVITIES AT LEGENDARY SERENGETI MOBILE CAMP WEST:
- The camp’s main activity is expertly guided game drives, which take place during the morning and the afternoon. While Legendary is set up in the Western Corridor, the highlight of any stay here is viewing the huge herds of wildebeest, zebra, and gazelles as they set about their rutting season and cross the Grumeti river.
- Such immense concentrations of herbivores naturally attract a lot of predators, and you can expect to see lion, leopard, and cheetah stalking their next meal on the banks of the river.
- Other predators in residence include hyenas and jackals, while the herbivore count features elephant, hippo, buffalo, and numerous antelope species such as topi.
- The birding is equally impressive, with over 500 types of feathery friend recorded. Ostrich, lesser flamingo, martial eagle, marabou stork, crowned crane, secretary bird, lovebirds… it’s well worth bringing your binocs!
- The camp is also able to arrange hot air balloon rides, which involve ascending at dawn and spending a couple of hours enjoying a bird’s-eye view of the Serengeti before coming back down to Earth for a delicious champagne breakfast.
- Bush picnics are available too.
*This property is unfenced and located in a wildlife area, so large and potentially dangerous animals do pass through. If you opt to stay here, always be alert when walking around the camp and request for a member of staff to escort you if you have any concerns. Any guest is escorted after dark as a matter of course.