Mwiba Lodge is an exceptional option for travellers looking for luxury accommodation in the Serengeti, with wonderful wildlife sightings throughout the year. It is owned and operated by Classic Portfolio, whose collection involves a range of properties across East and Southern Africa.
ACCESS & LOCATION:
The property may be approached from Arusha Airport or Lake Manyara Airstrip, with shared charter flights into Mwiba Airstrip followed by a road transfer of just 15 minutes to the lodge. Mwiba has a beautiful location amidst big boulders and ancient acacias, and there are amazing views over a river gorge.
ACCOMMODATION & FACILITIES AT MWIBA LODGE:
The site occupies a number of levels and all buildings are constructed from timber, stone, and thatch. The largest structure houses the lounge and dining areas, featuring comfortable sofas and armchairs around coffee tables, a cosy fireplace, chic wooden tables and upright chairs for dining, and a well-stocked bar! Both areas flow out onto a viewing deck, where guests may relax and enjoy a drink or full meal while marvelling at the scenery. The interiors benefit from a palette of creams, greys, and earthy tones, which succeeds in its aim to let the colours of nature take centre stage. Mwiba has a gym too, and a spa for anyone in need of a little pampering. There’s also a fire-pit, perfect for socialising with your fellow travellers, as well as an inviting infinity pool surrounded by sunloungers, parasols, shaded areas for dining… and a very convincing sculpture of a crocodile!
Guest accommodation at Mwiba consists of ten tented suites, each designed to sleep a maximum of two travellers plus one child aged under 15 years on a sofa bed. Two pairs of suites may interconnect, providing a larger unit for a family or a group. Each suite is linked to the communal buildings along wooden walkways and also made out of timber, stone, and thatch. The palette is similar too, as is the overall feel of understated elegance. Every suite has an air cooling system in addition to fans, plus a double bed, bedside tables and lighting, and double doors out onto a private veranda with chairs and table, sunloungers, and spectacular vistas over the reserve! Back inside, a separate seating area is found to one side of the bed, with sofa bed, easy chairs, and a coffee table. To the other side of the bedroom, there are the washing facilities – separate flush toilet, twin washbasins and mirrors, a large bathtub with shower attachment, and adventurous outdoor shower! Other suite amenities include mosquito nets, hairdryer, safe, and mini-bar.
ACTIVITIES AT MWIBA LODGE:
- Mwiba’s activities focus on checking out all the wildlife of the reserve and farther afield.
- Game drives, with each vehicle accommodating no more than six safarists, are available within the reserve, in the Serengeti, and in the Ngorongoro Conservation Area!
- This guarantees sightings of a real wealth of wildlife – lion, rhino, leopard, elephant, and buffalo (the Big Five), as well as cheetah, hyena, wild dog, giraffe, wildebeest, zebra, antelopes, crocs, hippos, and many more besides.
- From mid-December to mid-March, the famous wildebeest Great Migration storms over the nearby plains!
- All year round, there are plenty of bird species to observe – raptors, songbirds, waterbirds, and particular highlights such as secretary bird and crowned crane.
- Night drives are possible within the Mwiba Wildlife Reserve, presenting opportunities to see the likes of aardwolf, bush baby, civet, and the delightful pangolin!
- Bush walks are ideal for anyone hoping to take a close look at some smaller species, while travellers with an interest in culture will relish interactions with the local tribespersons – the Maasai, Hadzabe, Datoga, and Sukuma.
- There are also all sorts of things to do to keep children entertained, from archery to making animal masks!
- All safari activities are led by Mwiba’s highly knowledgeable guides. Their experience makes for great sightings, wherever you choose to spend your safari time.