The company Lemala owns and operates authentic camps and lodges throughout North Tanzania – in Arusha, the Ngorongoro Conservation Area, Tarangire National Park, as well as the Serengeti, as here. Service standards are superb, and this property has been awarded a Certificate of Excellence from TripAdvisor! The accommodation is booked on a full-board basis, including all meals, a selection of alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks, all activities, Wi-Fi, and a laundry service. Young guests incur a reduced rate – please contact us for further details. Lemala Mara is open from July to November every year. Children of all ages are welcome, with under-12s eligible to join the Lemala Cubs programme.
ACCESS & LOCATION:
The camp is accessed via 20 minutes’ road transfer from Kogatende Airstrip. It’s situated close to the River Mara, in the shade of euclea trees.
ACCOMMODATION & FACILITIES AT LEMALA MARA TENTED CAMP:
Guest accommodation consists of twelve tents, all positioned on either side of the communal lounge and dining tents. The guest tents are Meru style – an outer layer of canvas extends over the inner layer to create a shady veranda. On the veranda, you’ll find seating and a small table, making it a super spot for relaxing and enjoying your views! Inside each tent, there are two queen-size beds, and sufficient space to add a third bed if required. Other furnishings include bedside tables and lighting, a writing desk and chair, an easy chair, a classic explorer’s chest, a wardrobe, and a luggage rack. The en-suite facilities are accessed through a canvas partition to one side of the tent, and comprise separate flush toilet, washbasin within a vanity unit, and step-up bucket shower. The palette throughout each tent features warm orange on a base of neutrals and browns.
Lemala Mara has two communal tents – a lounge tent and a dining tent, rigged up at roughly the centre of the site. The lounge is surprisingly sumptuous for a mobile camp, with its leather sofas, glass-topped coffee tables, plush rugs, and chandeliers! The camp’s bar is also found in the lounge tent, and in common with the guest tents there’s a pleasant veranda where you can enjoy a drink or two while marvelling at the scenery. In the dining tent, there’s a long table flanked by campaign chairs – this is usually the setting for communal meals, although guests can also opt to eat al fresco. Finally, the camp’s fire-pit, located just a short stroll from the lounge and dining tents, is the place to be for pre-dinner drinks and canapés. It’s also fantastic for connecting with your fellow travellers, swapping stories about your days on safari!
ACTIVITIES AT LEMALA MARA TENTED CAMP:
- The camp specialises in Great Migration viewing via expertly guided game drives.
- These outings take place during early morning and late afternoon, although you can opt to go out for the whole day with a big picnic.
- The highlight of your safari will be watching the huge herds of wildebeest, zebra, and gazelles crossing the mighty River Mara! This is a spectacular show, not only for the sheer volume of plains game, but also for the element of danger due to the presence of crocodiles within the rushing river.
- The presence of big cats also constitutes a significant threat.
- Among additional wildlife species you can expect to see are hyenas, jackals, elephant, buffalo, giraffe, an astonishing assortment of antelopes, and hundreds of birds.
- There’s also the Lemala Cubs programme, for children aged 11 years and younger. Things to do include animal tracking, spear throwing, and making bows-and-arrows.