Sanctuary Kichakani Serengeti Camp is highly recommended for travellers seeking a super-comfortable base camp from which to observe the glorious Great Migration. In the course of the year, the camp will move from the southern Serengeti to the central region of the national park and then head to the north Serengeti, before heading back south again.
ACCESS & LOCATION:
Each of the three sites is close to an airstrip – Serengeti South, Seronera, or Lamai. This means Kichakani is easily accessed from Arusha, with a journey time of an hour and 30 minutes for South and Seronera, and just one hour for Lamai. The road transfers to camp are respectively 10–15 minutes, 35 minutes, and 1 hour 30. If you are driving from the Ngorongoro area, you can expect to be at the wheel for about 3 hours.
ACCOMMODATION & FACILITIES AT SANCTUARY KICHAKANI SERENGETI CAMP:
Aptly, the word Kichakani is Swahili for ‘in the bush’! Guests of the camp will certainly feel in the thick of the migration action, whenever they choose to visit. All sites are very well appointed, with all the comforts you could desire. The communal areas are found in a large central tent with a grand canopy, and feature sophisticated lounge and dining furniture in a palette of creams and greys. As the tent is open sided, you can relax and enjoy delicious meals while gazing out over the Serengeti’s sprawling plains. Each site also has a fire-pit, the perfect place for evening gatherings – guests can share safari stories under the star-studded African sky!
Guest accommodation at all three sites of Kichakani consists of ten tents, described as five star and furnished in the classic campaign style. The interiors include a comfy double bed or twin beds, bedside tables and lighting, overhead lighting, an explorer’s chest at the end of the bed/s, a standing fan, wall artwork in the form of a map of Africa, and wonderful views out onto the Serengeti. The en-suite facilities comprise flush toilet, washbasin, and bucket shower. Every tent is elevated above ground level on a wooden deck – this extends beyond the opening into the bedroom to provide a lovely private veranda, fabulous for sitting and watching the wildlife go by!
ACTIVITIES AT SANCTUARY KICHAKANI SERENGETI CAMP:
- Activities at Kichakani are focused on game drives, following the Great Migration as it thunders across the plains.
- This spectacular show features hundreds upon thousands of wildebeest, zebra, and two gazelle species – Grant’s and Thomson’s.
- As if that weren’t enough there are the big cats too, the lion, leopard, and cheetah stalking their prey.
- Smaller predators you might see include hyena and wild dog, while other highlights consist of rhino, elephant, buffalo, giraffe, and plenty of antelope species!
- The birding is very impressive, with specials such as Fischer’s lovebird, ground hornbill, and little spotted woodpecker.
- The camp offers sundowners too, an opportunity to wind down with a cocktail and snacks while marvelling at the Serengeti sunset – a fabulous end to a great safari day!
*This property is unfenced and located in a wildlife area, so large and potentially dangerous animals do pass through. If you opt to stay here, always be alert when walking around the camp and request for a member of staff to escort you if you have any concerns. Any guest is escorted after dark as a matter of course.