With only six tents, it provides superb service – and it can be booked exclusively by a group. It is operated by Serian, a name synonymous with top-notch guiding standards! Alex Walker, one of the best guides in East Africa, is often in camp, hosting as well as leading walks and drives.
ACCESS & LOCATION:
The camp is positioned in the shade of grand acacia trees and opposite Crossing Point 4. This is the central crossing point along the length of the Mara and it gets unbelievably busy when the time comes for the thousands upon thousands of wildebeest, zebra, and other herbivores to make their perilous journey! The setting farther back from the bank also has impressive quantities of wildlife, among groves of fig trees, rocky hillsides, and seemingly endless plains.
ACCOMMODATION & FACILITIES AT SERIAN'S SERENGETI MOBILE LAMAI:
There are just four guest tents and two suites at Lamai, all rigged up under majestic acacias for some pleasant cooling shade. Each has a veranda, where guests can take in those amazing views! Inside, there is a large double bed with a wrought-iron frame, in addition to bedside tables with lamps, a writing desk and chair, and storage space for clothes and other belongings. The décor is neutral, with a few splashes of colour provided by patterned cushions and rugs. The en-suite facilities are at the back of the tent – they comprise flush toilet, washstand with basin and mirror, and step-in bucket shower with wooden deck floor. The accommodation feels very authentic – we like it a lot!
Lamai’s mess tent boasts lovely views of the river and surrounding landscape. It contains a lounge area and a dining area, separated by a bar. The lounge has some very comfy velvety chairs and sofas around a chunky wooden coffee table, as well as a colourful rug, animal prints on the walls, and a selection of books for guests to enjoy. In the dining area, there is a large oval table surrounded by directors’ chairs, where everyone eats together. Further seating is set up just outside the tent, while the fire pit is set up a short distance away. This is the perfect place for sinking a sundowner and sharing your safari stories!
Delicious meals are enjoyed in the homely mess tent and are sometimes hosted by Alex Walker himself! Electricity is provided by a 24-hour generator, but there is no Wi-Fi here and no mobile phone signal. Just being in nature is the most important thing!
ACTIVITIES AT SERIAN'S SERENGETI MOBILE LAMAI:
- Activities from Lamai aim to bring you the best of the region’s wildlife – and on a truly spectacular scale!
- The experience of watching the huge herds thrashing their way across the river is quite literally breathtaking, unlike anything else in the world. With crocs lying in wait, often the scenes are pretty gruesome too!
- If you are a keen photographer, you will be in your element here.
- And the plains around the camp are teeming with wildlife too – not only the herbivores, but also predators such as lion and cheetah. Elephant are also in residence and it is not uncommon to see all Big Five animals in a single day!
- Every group of guests to Serian properties has exclusive use of a safari vehicle plus spotter and guide – the same team of two is with you throughout your stay, ensuring that you see the best of the Serengeti.
- Lamai offers walking safaris too – this is a great way of checking out all the small things that you tend to miss while on drives.
- And if you are feeling particularly adventurous, you can go fly camping! Areas well worth exploring include the Lamai Wedge (scenic open plains bordering the Maasai Mara National Reserve) and the Wogakuria Kopjes (rocky outcrops where leopard may be viewed).
- We recommend a stay of at least four nights, especially if you are planning to fit in some fly camping.