We are big fans of Serian and we love the setting of Serengeti South! If the calving season is the time during the Great Migration that holds the most interest for you, this camp is ideal. It also combines brilliantly with Serian’s Serengeti Mobile Kusini – just contact us for more details!
ACCESS & LOCATION:
The camp is pitched in the Ngorongoro Conservation Area and boasts amazing views across the short-grass plains. Plenty of cool shade is provided by majestic acacia trees.
ACCOMMODATION & FACILITIES AT SERIAN'S SERENGETI SOUTH:
The communal areas of camp are found in a pleasant mess tent. One side contains the lounge, with lots of comfy chairs, plush sofas, a few plump pouffes, a chunky coffee table, a selection of books, floor cushions, snug rugs… and a telescope for viewing passing wildlife! The other side is home to Serengeti South’s dining area, which has a large round table surrounded by directors’ chairs. The bar is situated between the lounge and dining areas. Outside, the fire pit is a short distance from the mess tent, and there are a few further seating spaces dotted around the site, perfect for relaxing and enjoying those breathtaking vistas over the plains!
Serengeti South’s guest accommodation consists of six tents, all positioned well apart for privacy and also in the shade of trees. Each has a private veranda, featuring a very comfortable daybed and, of course, superb views! Inside, there is a large wrought-iron double bed, two bedside tables with lamps, a writing desk and chair, and lots of storage space. Floor rugs add to the overall sumptuous feel. The en-suite facilities comprise flush toilet, washstand with basin and mirror, and classic bucket shower!
Service back at camp is also excellent, with staff members providing a lovely home from home. Surrounded by nature, you will feel very ‘Serian’, which in Maasai means ‘serene’! Dining is hosted – sometimes by Alex himself – and life in this comfortable camp is a world apart from the hustle and bustle of everyday existence. Electricity is provided by a generator, but there is no Wi-Fi connection. The emphasis lies on nature – and on a seriously impressive scale!
ACTIVITIES AT SERIAN'S SERENGETI SOUTH:
- As at sister camp Kusini, the activities from Serengeti South focus on the wildlife – though it is possible to take in a little culture here too.
- Game drives take place during the morning, afternoon, and night.
- Where and when you choose to head out, are entirely up to you, as every group of guests has exclusive use of a safari vehicle, together with spotter and guide! This is just one reason why we at YZ love Serian.
- The calving season is a very exciting time to be in the Serengeti! The plains are full of short sweet grasses, attracting hundreds of thousands of wildebeest and zebra, and many other herbivores.
- All are pursued by predators, especially cheetah, hoping to snatch a snack as they stalk the herds. You might also see hyena, jackal, honey badger, and the area’s pack of wild dog!
- Keen birders will relish spotting the likes of the secretary bird, grey-crested helmet-shrike, Fischer’s lovebird, and hundreds more!
- The camp also offers the opportunity for guests to go on walking safari with Hadzabe hunter–gatherers – this is a very interesting experience, as you can observe their ways of life and learn so much about the region just by being in their company.
- The Hadzabe live near Lake Eyasi, as do the Ndorobo people. This is the location for Serengeti South’s fly camp – it is well worth fitting in a camping trip while you are here, if you have the time.
- The standard of guiding, for all activities, is truly first rate – the guides’ knowledge really shines through and they are keen to answer any of your questions, whether on walking safari or during a drive.
*This property is unfenced and located in a wildlife area, so large and potentially dangerous animals do pass through. If you opt to stay here, always be alert when walking around the camp and request for a member of staff to escort you if you have any concerns. Any guest is escorted after dark as a matter of course.