Dunia Camp is owned and operated by Asilia Africa, a company renowned for its authentic properties spanning Tanzania, Kenya, and Zanzibar. Among our favourites in Asilia’s portfolio are Olakira and Ubuntu, both mobile camps in the Serengeti. Dunia has earned a great reputation for its good-value and high-quality accommodation, together with its sense of adventure, high standards of guiding, and superb levels of service overall. It’s booked on a full-board basis, including all meals, a selection of alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks, guided game drives and walks, parking, and a laundry service. You can visit all year round.
ACCESS & LOCATION:
The camp is situated in the Moru Kopjes region of the Serengeti National Park. It’s accessed via road transfer from Seronera Airstrip, just 45 minutes away. Dunia has a fabulous location, well away from the larger hotels and busier game-driving routes that put many clients off travelling to this part of the park. The site comprises a patch of acacia woodland and has lovely savanna views.
ACCOMMODATION & FACILITIES AT DUNIA CAMP:
Guest accommodation consists of eight classic tents, including one tent for family use. All are mounted on timber decking, and a few steps lead up onto a veranda set with a small table and chairs. Inside, each standard tent contains either a king-size bed or twin beds, storage trunks, a writing desk with mirror over and stool, and a separate seating area that’s sufficiently spacious for camp staff to add an extra bed if required. There’s overhead lighting too, and the soft furnishings include plenty of bright colours and patterns. Above the bed, there’s a row of traditional Tanzanian artefacts, adding a nice authentic touch. The en-suite facilities are found at the back of the tent, and they comprise flush toilet, washbasin with mirror, and shower. There’s some hanging space here too. Dunia’s family tent benefits from all the features of the standard tent, in addition to an extra bedroom with up to three beds for children. Views from all tents’ verandas are amazing – during Great Migration months, you might spot the herds!
The camp’s communal lounge and dining room occupy one tent each, both sharing an outer layer of canvas. In common with the guest accommodation, there are steps up to a wooden deck and furniture set up for guests to make the most of the scenery! The lounge has a mixture of plush sofas and wood-framed cushioned armchairs around coffee tables, as well as Dunia’s well-stocked bar. In the dining room, super-smart upright chairs are positioned around a long table, beneath a row of amber hanging lights. The deck extends well out onto the savanna, providing a great venue for watching wildlife and enjoying al fresco meals. Finally, the camp’s fire-pit is just a short distance from the communal areas – it’s the perfect place for a few drinks and a lot of safari stories!
ACTIVITIES AT DUNIA CAMP:
- Activities from Dunia are all about the wildlife of the Serengeti, not least the huge herds of the Great Migration in residence from March to June every year! However, even outside these months the camp is well worth visiting.
- Viewing highlights include four of the Big Five – lion, leopard, elephant, and buffalo – plus cheetah, spotted hyena, golden jackal, bat-eared fox, wildebeest, zebra, gazelles, impala, and topi. If you’re very lucky, you might see wild dog!
- There are lots of birds around too, with specials such as Verreaux’s eagle, black-headed golonek, and Fischer’s lovebird.
- The Great Migration starts to move through the area in March, with the herds remaining to graze until June. They also make a brief appearance in mid- to late November.
- Expertly guided game drives and walks are available during early morning and late afternoon. It’s possible to book a private vehicle, and families with children aged under 12 years go on private drives for free in high season.
- Hot air balloon rides can be arranged, at extra cost – this experience involves ascending at dawn for a bird’s-eye view over the Serengeti’s sprawling plains, and coming down for a lavish champagne breakfast!