Singita Explore is one of 12 properties currently listed in the impressive Singita portfolio. A favourite at YZ, this company specialises in providing high-quality accommodation in pristine areas, while working to conserve and preserve the wild surrounds. Explore is booked on a full-board basis, including all meals, a selection of alcoholic and soft drinks, private staff, expertly guided game drives and safari walks, road transfers between the camp and Sasakwa airstrip, and a laundry service with 24-hour turnaround time. The camp is open all year round.
ACCESS & LOCATION:
The camp is accessed via 45–60 minutes’ drive from Sasakwa airstrip. From Arusha, the flight time to Sasakwa is 1 hour, and it’s 1 hour 15 minutes from Kilimanjaro. Explore is situated within the wildlife-rich Singita Grumeti Reserves, specifically on plains forming part of the route of the Great Migration!
ACCOMMODATION & FACILITIES AT SINGITA EXPLORE:
There’s a maximum of six one-bedroom guest tents, and all can be configured to suit your sleeping arrangements. Each tent is made out of natural canvas, with the roof extending well over the outer walls at the sides to create a private veranda. Set with deckchairs and dining furniture, this is a great spot for relaxing and enjoying amazing views over the plains! Inside every tent, there are bedside cabinets with lighting, a writing desk and chair, a couple of comfy chairs, and two hanging rails with luggage racks beneath. Amenities include fans and a tea-and-coffee station. The en-suite facilities are accessed through a curtained partition to one side of the bedroom, and they comprise flush toilet, washbasin on a stand with mirror over, and shower. The overall style of the tents is safari chic, and we particularly like the roll-down netting above the beds – it’s very effective!
The communal lounge and dining areas at Explore occupy the camp’s mess tent, which, in common with the guest tents, has a lovely veranda. Additionally, it’s open sided, so guests can marvel at the views! In the lounge area, mostly leather-cushioned seating is set up around a central coffee table, on which are displayed a few books and a chequers board. The camp’s bar is also found in the mess tent, and all drinks apart from French champagne are included in the cost of your stay. Guests can enjoy delicious meals in the dining area, but a lot of Explore’s eating and drinking takes place around the campfire. Pre-arranged spa treatments are available, and guests can hunt for souvenirs in the boutique and gallery!
ACTIVITIES AT SINGITA EXPLORE:
- Explore offers an exhilarating range of activities.
- As guests are looked after by private staff including a full-time guide with a dedicated vehicle, you can take a very flexible approach to your safari schedule!
- Morning and afternoon game drives offer ample opportunities to observe the local wildlife. All Big Five species – lion, rhino, leopard, elephant, and buffalo – live in the Singita Grumeti Reserves.
- You can also look out for numerous smaller predators and herbivores, such as cheetah, hyenas, jackals, wild dog, giraffe, eland, and kudus.
- As mentioned, the camp is positioned right in the path of the Great Migration, so come May to early July you can expect to see the huge herds of wildebeest, zebra, and gazelles! However, even outside these busy times the reserves are great for game viewing.
- Hundreds of birds can be sighted here too, and the camp’s safari walks are ideal for birdwatching as well as taking a close look at the insect life and plant life.
- Usually safarists must be at least 15 years old to go on walks, but younger travellers are sometimes permitted to join in – it’s up to your guide.
- There are no age restrictions on community visits or on trips to an anti-poaching observation post to meet the reserves’ hardworking game scouts.
- Everyone can enjoy archery too, and a little stargazing come nightfall. And children can take part in Singita’s Mini Rangers’ Course, which involves animal tracking, bush survival techniques, and frogging!
- Older children can even go mountain biking – please contact a member of the YZ team for more information about kids’ activities and anything else to do with staying at Singita Explore.