Shamba Kilole Eco Lodge is owned and operated by Italians Francesca and Marco. The word Shamba is Swahili, translating as ‘farm’ – and the property does include a farm for organic produce. The lodge has been awarded a Certificate of Excellence from TripAdvisor! Accommodation is booked on a full-board basis, including all meals, Wi-Fi, and a laundry service. Usually Shamba Kilole is open all year round, but sometimes it closes during April and May due to the weather – a member of our team will be happy to offer advice concerning the best time to stay here.
ACCESS & LOCATION:
The lodge is accessed via approximately 25 minutes’ road transfer from Mafia Island’s airport. It’s situated within the island’s marine park, amidst 5 hectares of beautiful tree-filled grounds.
ACCOMMODATION & FACILITIES AT SHAMBA KILOLE ECO LODGE:
There are three chalets and three suites. All are classic timber, stone, and thatch structures, positioned within the lodge’s gardens. The chalets are slightly smaller, providing 38 square metres of floor space to the suites’ 48 sq m. Within each category, there’s a twin bedroom, double bedroom, or honeymoon option, and all suites and chalets have a Swahili name. The beds are wood framed and made up with colourful fabrics, with mosquito nets draped all around. There’s a wooden bedside table (or tables) with lighting, and a generously proportioned wooden storage unit. The en-suite facilities comprise flush toilet, washbasin, and walk-in shower. Towels and toiletries are supplied. At the front of each structure, there’s a private veranda – typically this is set with a couple of deckchairs and a small table, and it’s a lovely spot for relaxing and enjoying your views!
Shamba Kilole’s lounge, dining area, and bar are set up within the property’s large communal lodge, which is also a timber, stone, and thatch design. In the lounge, vibrantly cushioned wood-framed seating surrounds a chunky wooden coffee table. Various artefacts adorn the walls, lending an authentic feel. This space adjoins the dining area, which features farmhouse-style tables and chairs. The indoor diner is just one of the settings for delicious meals here, as guests can also eat and drink in the outdoor boma, under a gazebo in the grounds, and in a scenic spot near the swimming pool. The bar is adjacent to the lounge too, and guests often get together for pre-dinner drinks – it’s a great opportunity to socialise! And if you’re feeling energetic, there’s a 400 metres jogging track around the gardens.
ACTIVITIES AT SHAMBA KILOLE ECO LODGE:
An exciting variety of activities is available.
- Shamba Kilole’s co-owner Marco happens to be one of the most knowledgeable and experienced divers on Mafia Island, and he regularly leads dives to some of the area’s best sites. Depths range from -5 to -25 metres, featuring highlights from the little fish of Coral Garden to the bulky octopus of Kinasi Wall.
- PADI courses are offered for beginners and experts alike, all taking part in a pleasantly furnished classroom and triple-depth swimming pool.
- You can also head out on snorkelling expeditions, and snorkelling courses are available too.
- Sailing in Mafia Island’s gorgeous Chole Bay is offered as well, with many travellers opting to make for Kua to experience traditional Swahili coast life.
- The islets off the island’s east coast are ideal for exploration, and visiting Jibondo islet is highly recommended for anyone interested in the lives of the fishermen here.
- You can also pop across to Juani Beach to watch tiny baby turtles hatching and rushing down the sands into the water. Hatching takes place during June and July, so that’s your time to travel if you’d like to witness these amazing scenes!
For further information about staying at Shamba Kilole, please contact a member of the YZ team.