Essque Zalu Zanzibar is privately owned and run. If you are looking for a sumptuous sort of base from which to explore the island, this property comes highly recommended! In 2017, it was awarded a Readers’ Choice Award from Condé Nast. Various rates are available, including B&B, half board, and full board. Please contact a member of YZ to discuss which is best suited to you.
ACCESS & LOCATION:
The hotel is accessed via 1 hour’s road transfer from Zanzibar’s international airport. It’s situated on the northernmost tip of the island, in the beautiful village of Nungwi.
ACCOMMODATION & FACILITIES AT ESSQUE ZALU ZANZIBAR:
Guest accommodation consists of 40 suites and eight residences. Within the suite category, there are four options – garden, superior garden, ocean, and seafront, referring to the views. Occupying characterful white-wash thatch-roof bungalows, all are exquisitely furnished and equipped with plenty of mod cons to ensure you have a comfortable stay. Each suite covers 85 square metres of floor space, and it can sleep up to three adults or two adults and two children. Features include air conditioning, mosquito nets, a satellite television, a personalised mini-bar, a tea-and-coffee station, a safety deposit box, and a private terrace of patio. The washing facilities comprise flush toilet, twin washbasins, and a walk-in shower. Toiletries are supplied, and guests have use of a hairdryer. Housekeeping staff visit twice daily. Every superior garden suite is found on the bungalows’ upper level. Ocean suites offer uninterrupted vistas over the Indian Ocean, and the seafront suite is Essque’s most popular type of accommodation due to its gorgeous sea views. There are also four options within the residences category – garden, ocean, seafront, and long-term! Each residence is made up of over 300 sq. m of floor space, to accommodate up to ten guests in three en-suite bedrooms. As well as all the features of the suites, residences boast super-spacious living areas, a fully equipped kitchen, a plunge pool, and the services of a private butler and chef.
Many of the communal areas at Essque are housed in the hotel’s immense thatch-roof main building, which has been compared with the Sydney Opera House! Inside this impressive structure, you’ll find a welcoming reception-and-lounge space, featuring lots of well-cushioned seating around coffee tables, some intriguing artefacts, and a few plants here and there. There are two restaurants – The Market Kitchen and The Jetty. The former is set up within the communal building, flowing out on to a courtyard. It’s the place to go for delicious breakfasts, lunches, and dinners. Both local and international dishes are served, and there’s a lively ambience – and a well-stocked bar! The Jetty is positioned at the end of Essque’s long jetty. Here, guests tuck in to light lunches and lavish dinners, with an emphasis on seafood and fresh fish. There’s a little shisha lounge adjacent to the dining area, which is fantastic for sinking a few sundowners from the bar! In addition to the bars within its restaurants, the hotel has a pool bar. In between eating and drinking, you can visit the boutique to browse for souvenirs, pop to the spa for all sorts of relaxing and revitalising treatments, and of course take a refreshing dip in the lovely infinity pool. The pool has a whirlpool, and multi-coloured lights too!
**For families with children under the age of 6 years, we always request a ground floor room or a room without a balcony for safety reasons. If you stay here with us, please ensure this is what you are given.**
ACTIVITIES AT ESSQUE ZALU ZANZIBAR:
- At low tide, guests of Essque have access to the beautiful beach just a short stroll from the hotel. This is superb for sunbathing and swimming.
- Wilder pursuits can be arranged through the nearby watersports centre, which offers PADI diving courses and diving excursions plus various non-motorised activities – snorkelling, kayaking, paddleboard, and pedalo.
- You can also go waterskiing and deep sea fishing, and enjoy dolphin tours!
- Inland, you can bike around Nungwi village and farther afield, visit a local spice farm, and explore Zanzibar’s capital Stone Town.
- Additional activities for wildlife lovers include a trip to Jozani Forest, where you might see the striking red colobus monkey, and to Prison Island, which once housed slaves but is now home to giant tortoise.
- And there are numerous things for kids to do too, through Essque’s Tinga Club for children – swimming, relay races, interactive games, arts ‘n’ crafts, and making ice cream!