Kisiwa on the Beach is privately owned and operated. Sister property to Kisiwa House, it has received a Certificate of Excellence from TripAdvisor! The accommodation is booked on a half board basis, including parking and Wi-Fi.
ACCESS & LOCATION:
The property is situated on Zanzibar’s east coast, in the Paje area. It can be accessed via road transfer from the island’s Abeid Amani Karume International Airport, a journey of just over 50 kilometres. Kisiwa on the Beach is set on an idyllic white-sand beach and surrounded by swaying palms.
ACCOMMODATION & FACILITIES AT KISIWA ON THE BEACH:
Guest accommodation consists of 22 villas, all positioned amidst beautiful tropical gardens. There are four categories – Bahari Beach Front, Bahari Grand, Raha Luxury, and Starehe Luxury. The Bahari villas are slightly more spacious than the others, offering 80 square metres to the luxury villas’ 70. The majority of villas boast full or partial views of the ocean. Each has a double bedroom featuring bedside tables and lighting, a writing desk and chair, a separate seating area, and ample storage space. On request, an extra bed can be added. En-suite facilities typically comprise flush toilet, twin washbasins, walk-in shower, and big bathtub! Additional amenities include air conditioning, ceiling fan, mosquito nets, LCD flatscreen satellite television, telephone, refreshment centre, electronic safe, hairdryer, and complimentary Wi-Fi. And every villa has a lovely private veranda with a small table and a couple of campaign chairs, the perfect place for relaxing and enjoying your views!
Most of the communal areas at Kisiwa on the Beach are found in a large timber, stone, and thatch structure just a short stroll from the beach. The restaurant, Bembe, is open sided, providing pleasant sea vistas as well as cool breezes from the ocean. Here, guests tuck in to delicious breakfasts, lunches, and dinners, prepared using fresh ingredients and local spices. This space adjoins the property’s lounge, which has well-cushioned wood-framed armchairs and sofas around coffee tables in addition to gorgeous sea scenery! The library, with its bygone safari era theme, is ideal for whiling away an hour or two after dinner – it contains not only an interesting selection of maps and books, but also a few board games. Kisiwa’s bar, Poa, is also next to the restaurant and is open throughout the day and well into the night. BBQs are available at extra cost. The gift shop stocks a great range of souvenirs, essential items, and branded goods, and Blossom Spa is fantastic for anyone in need of a little pampering – it includes two treatment rooms, outdoor showers, and a bathtub amongst fragrant flowers. Keep fit fans love the fitness centre with its weights and treadmills, while the gardens simply invite relaxation. Conference facilities consist of a fully equipped meeting room for a maximum of 50 delegates. And, right on the beachfront, there’s a sparkling swimming pool with sunloungers alongside!
ACTIVITIES AT KISIWA ON THE BEACH:
Kisiwa on the Beach offers an exciting assortment of watersports and excursions.
- At high tide, you can enjoy kayaking, surfing, and kite surfing too! Low tides reveal a treasury of small lagoons, explored during reef walks and snorkelling expeditions.
- Sailing trips take you all around Zanzibar’s coasts, while diving adventures are a wonderful opportunity to encounter all sorts of marine life.
Inland, there’s also plenty to do here.
- You can embark on trips to the coral caves within the Kiwengwa–Pongwe Forest Reserve, 20 kilometres from Stone Town. As you walk through the forest, you might spot a rare red colobus monkey!
- Coast walks are fun too, and other attractions include the beaches of Jambiani and Kizimkazi, Jozani Forest Reserve, and Paje Village.
- Visiting the local villages provides fascinating insights into island life, as does spending time in Stone Town, centre of the spice trade during the nineteenth century and home to a wealth of historical buildings – for example, the Palace of Wonders, the Old Fort, and the Old Dispensary.