Zawadi Hotel is a fabulous and serene retreat in a beautiful part of the island. It is the latest addition to the famous Zanzibar Collection, which includes YZ favourites The Palms and Baraza Resort and Spa.
ACCESS & LOCATION:
Zawadi is just an hour’s drive from Zanzibar International Airport and there is a meet-and-greet service together with road transfers. The property is positioned on top of a cliff, with amazing views across the Indian Ocean.
ACCOMMODATION & FACILITIES AT ZAWADI HOTEL:
Zawadi has a lovely laidback beach style to its communal buildings and individual villas, which have been constructed using wood, thatch, and stone. The hotel grounds contain plenty of palm trees and fragrant bougainvillea, and slope gently down to the sea. Inside, the décor is mostly neutral and white, combining with the browns of the woodwork and the greens of potted plants. The Mali Mali Lounge & Bar is open for drinks, including cocktails, shortly before dinner every evening. With its comfy seating and relaxed atmosphere, it is the perfect place to wind down. Dinner is served in the Drift Wood Dining Room, as is breakfast – this area also has a calm ambience. The Mswakini Beach Bar has a more casual feel and provides snacks, lunches, and drinks throughout the day. Adjacent to the Beach Bar, is the hotel’s very inviting infinity pool, flanked by sunloungers. The grounds also feature the Nature Gym, a 900-metre jogging trail and various pieces of equipment spaced along the trail to give you a complete exercise programme. The trail ends with a staircase down to the beach, so you can throw yourself into the sea for a good cooling off!
Guest accommodation at Zawadi consists of twelve private villas, all spaced along the ocean front within the hotel’s gorgeous grounds. Each villa contains approximately a hundred square metres of floor space and is designed to accommodate two adults very comfortably indeed! The décor is similar to that of the main buildings – whites, neutrals, with plenty of plants for accents of green. The villas have a large double bed, bedside tables and lighting, seating at the foot of the bed, an en-suite full bathroom, an additional seating area with sofa, chair, and coffee table, and sliding doors out onto a private terrace for those superb ocean views. Other features include satellite TV, a DVD player, a telephone, a mini-bar, and air conditioning.
ACTIVITIES AT ZAWADI HOTEL:
Zawadi’s activity list has a satisfying mix of watersports, tours, and trips around the island.
- The property links with Rising Sun Dive Centre, Zanzibar’s only PADI 5-star centre, to offer explorations of the underwater world to all skill levels. As each diving team numbers only six persons per guide, this is an excellent experience.
- Snorkelling is available too, with guests setting off from the beach just below the hotel or enjoying a trip to the Oba-Oba Lagoon, which has oodles of colourful corals and small marine creatures.
- On land, guests can check out the mangrove forest that is situated about 10 minutes’ walk from the Michamvi Peninsula.
- You can even board a local ngwala boat and do a little birdwatching!
- Excursions to the Jozani Forest are possible too, where you can spot the endangered red colobus.
- Dolphin tours are available at Raz Kizimkazi, while guests eager for a little culture can pop to Stone Town to visit the Old Fort, Sultan’s Palace, House of Wonders, and many other interesting sights.