The Tides is an excellent option if you are hoping to take a very relaxing beach holiday! We also recommend the property to travellers who are interested in chilling out on the beach following a safari in any of Tanzania’s national parks and game reserves, as the coast of East Tanzania combines well with most of the country’s safari areas to provide the possibility of a brilliant bush-and-beach holiday.
ACCESS & LOCATION:
The Tides is located on East Tanzania’s Ushongo Beach, within the country’s Pangani and Tanga region. The property may be accessed via flight from Dar es Salaam, Kilimanjaro, and Zanzibar to the private airstrip Mashado, which is just 10 minutes’ drive away. Private flights are also available.
ACCOMMODATION & FACILITIES AT THE TIDES:
The Tides is situated along the beach, surrounded by well-maintained lawns, colourful flowers, and tall palm trees. At the centre of the site, and on the beachfront, is the communal bar and restaurant. This is a timber-and-thatch construction with amazing ocean views. It is the perfect place to tuck into a delicious meal or a cool cocktail while admiring the scenery. A short distance inland, there is a spacious swimming pool surrounded by sunloungers. Swim, splash about, or sit and read a book… this is a very relaxing place to be.
Guest accommodation at The Tides consists of seven beach cottages, one suite, and two beach houses, all dotted around the garden grounds. Every beach cottage is made of timber, stone, and thatch, and positioned along the beachfront, providing gorgeous views. Each is numbered in Swahili! Inside, there is a king-size bed or twin beds, a freestanding fan, and a spacious en-suite shower room with solar-heated hot water. The cottages also benefit from complimentary bath and beach towels, as well as a covered veranda and beach beds. The suite – Upepo Suite – is designed for guests who would like a little more privacy than the cottages provide. Also constructed from timber, stone, and thatch, the suite is set apart from the other accommodation. It has two storeys – the lower level contains a lounge and a shower room, while the upper floor has a bedroom with king-size bed and freestanding fan. There is a covered veranda too, as well as plenty of towels and a special sunbathing spot on the beach! Upepo Suite can accommodate families, with extra beds added to the living space. Another option for families is either of the beach houses, as both sleep up to six people. Both Hibiscus House and Embedodo House boast all the amenities of the cottages and suite categories, in addition to a refrigerator and a dining table for private dining.
It is the sister property of Mawimbi Villa, which is booked for up to 12 persons on an exclusive basis.
ACTIVITIES AT THE TIDES:
From this very comfortable beach base camp, guests enjoy a wonderful range of activities.
- The white sands of Ushongo Beach are fantastic for sunbathing and building sandcastles, and the sparkling waters offer safe swimming in a very scenic location.
- If you would like to try something more active, all sorts of watersports are possible – scuba diving, kayaking, big game fishing, and snorkelling off a very accessible sand atoll that has a treasure trove of reefs to explore.
- You can also check out other beaches around the coast, by setting sail on a traditional dhow.
- Depending on when you are here, you might get lucky and witness baby turtles hatching on one of East Tanzania’s nesting sites!
Excursions farther afield are available too.
- The paradise island of Zanzibar is worth a visit for its own beautiful beaches and interesting culture, while Saadani National Park – just 50 kilometres from Ushongo – is home to lion, elephant, giraffe, and hippo.
- If you are keen to see more wildlife, you could even travel as far as the Serengeti, the national parks of Tarangire and Ruaha, or the Selous Game Reserve for excursions featuring game drives and walking safaris.
- And, closer to The Tides, village visits may be enjoyed – this is a great opportunity to interact with the locals and to find out about their daily lives.