Kilindi Zanzibar is owned and operated by Elewana Collection, a company that specialises in exclusive properties within iconic locations across Kenya, Tanzania, and, of course, Zanzibar! Originally planned for ABBA’s Benny Anderrson by architect Neil Rocher of Luangwa Safari House fame, Kilindi is super-stylish and highly recommended for a romantic break. The accommodation is booked on a full-board basis, including all meals and snacks, a selection of alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks, room service, and a laundry service. And honeymoon offers are available – please contact a member of YZ for further details.
ACCESS & LOCATION:
The property is accessed via approximately an hour’s drive from Zanzibar’s Abeid Amani Karume International Airport at Stone Town. It’s situated on the island’s north-west tip, just outside the party beaches at Kendwa and the area’s backpacker and mass-market hotels. Many consider Kendwa to be the best beach on Zanzibar!
ACCOMMODATION & FACILITIES AT KILINDI ZANZIBAR:
Guest accommodation consists of 15 domed pavilion rooms, all spaced well apart within Kilindi’s scenic tropical gardens. Inspired by Middle Eastern drama and Scandinavian minimalism, these structures are quite unlike anything else on Zanzibar! Moreover, each dome is practical as well as stylish, offering respite from the heat and forming part of the property’s system for recycling its water supply. Occupying the hillside above Kendwa beach, the rooms vary in their proximity to the seafront, but all boast breathtaking views. Each bedroom area contains a king-size bed or twin beds with mosquito netting, reading lights, a writing desk with mirror over, a wardrobe, and a lounge area. Additional amenities include an air conditioning unit, a standing fan, a tea-and-coffee station and an electronic safe. The windows are glassless and shuttered. Glass at the roof’s apex admits plenty of light, while coloured LED bulbs within the room’s walls and floors provide a pleasantly subtle glow. The adjoining shower room, accessed through an Arabic archway, has a flush toilet, twin washbasins with sea views, and a lovely rainfall shower. Bathrobes and toiletries are supplied. Exiting the bedroom, you’ll find two private plunge pools, connected via a little waterfall, and sunloungers on the deck alongside. This is a great spot for relaxing and enjoying your views! And all rooms are served by a private butler, available throughout the day to attend to your every need.
The communal facilities at Kilindi are just as impressive as the guest accommodation! The structures housing them are also very Middle East meets Scandinavia, and understated elegance is the overall effect. The lounge occupies a two-storey building. On the lower floor, sumptuous seating is arranged around coffee tables, while a few gold lanterns hang from the ceiling and some plants add a nice natural touch to the space. Upstairs features small tables and chairs positioned for guests to gaze out of open-shuttered archways. There’s greenery here too, as well as some interesting artwork. Grey drapes cascade from the domed roof and are secured against the white-washed walls. This space flows out onto the roof, where you can marvel at the ocean views. Kilindi’s restaurant and bar is an equally chic affair, and we love the built-in waterfall! You can tuck in to buffet breakfasts, light lunches, and formal dinners here, or in your own domed pavilion. The property has a curio shop too, which stocks local arts-and-crafts items in addition to a selection of jewellery. Anyone in need of some pampering can head to the spa, which occupies a secluded location within the gardens and offers an extensive range of massages, facials, and body wraps. Kilindi’s infinity pool, surrounded by sunloungers, is also highly recommended for relaxation! The property also has a modest library, a laptop desk, and a flatscreen television.
**Please be aware that the swimming pool here has no depth markings, so take care before you jump in!**
ACTIVITIES AT KILINDI ZANZIBAR:
Kilindi offers an exciting variety of watersports and land-based trips and tours.
- Staff are happy to help organise scuba diving, snorkelling, jet skiing, water skiing, banana boat trips, knee boarding, and ringo rides.
- Fly fishing, hobie catting, and deep-sea fishing are also available, and travellers seeking a romantic experience of Zanzibar will really appreciate a private sunset dhow cruise, drifting along the island’s north-west coastline for a couple of hours.
- Dolphin spotting is another must-do here, especially as this excursion involves swimming on unspoilt sandbanks and snorkelling over pristine coral reefs.
- You can visit a local spice farm too, in an interactive tour that includes tasting some of Zanzibar’s gorgeous spices and tropical fruits.
- Guided tours of Stone Town are available as well, with highlights such as the city’s bustling market, the Sultan’s Palace Museum, the House of Wonders, the old Anglican Church of Christ, and the Old Fort.
- And wildlife fans will be keen to explore Jozani Forest, where you can look out for the striking red colobus monkey in addition to many other species!