Thanda Island is a great getaway, providing laidback living and enough activities to keep everyone entertained!With just one villa and a couple of bandas, it is perfect for a family or group of friends. Originally built by Swedish couple Christin and Dan Olofsson as their private playground, this is laidback beach living in a very luxurious style!
ACCESS & LOCATION:
The island has a helicopter pad, so it is accessible by air. Flights may be arranged from Dar es Salaam, Selous Game Reserve, Zanzibar, Mafia Island, and more! You can also request a private boat from Mafia Island. Thanda Island occupies 8 hectares of forest bordering silky sands and sparkling seas. The villa is located on the island’s south-west tip.
ACCOMMODATION & FACILITIES AT THANDA ISLAND:
It is a structurally impressive building, featuring contemporary lines and super-smooth wooden floors! The open-plan living area is vast, incorporating a sumptuous lounge, elegant dining room, and even an aquarium, next to a Steinway grand piano! Guests also have access to spa treatment beds, a yoga sala, and an air-conditioned gym. The living area flows out on to a spacious deck – here, you will find a breakfast boma, a traditional pizza oven, a barbecue, a bonfire area, a cocktail bar, and a glass rim-flow pool! Other amenities include an Arabian Beduin tent and furnishings, a cigar humidor, outdoor baths and showers, copper beach baths, Steinway guitars, a Bose music amplifier, an Ernest Hemingway book collection, a floodlit tennis court, table tennis equipment, and a lot of watersports equipment too – just read on for more details!
The décor within the villa’s living areas is mostly white with splashes of colour, providing a very beachy feel. This style is echoed in the bedrooms. There are five bedrooms altogether, all with a king-size bed, en-suite facilities, and direct beach access! It is possible to set up extra beds for children in any of the bedrooms, and further sleeping capacity is provided within Thanda Island’s two traditional bandas. Each contains two bedrooms, so the total count of bedrooms is nine! All the banda beds are king sized too, with an en-suite bathroom. They can also accommodate additional beds for children, and their locally produced furnishings and fabrics bestow a lovely laidback beach vibe. Villa or banda, this really is super-sumptuous accommodation. It has to be seen to be believed!
ACTIVITIES AT THANDA ISLAND:
Thanda Island is well placed to offer an excellent assortment of activities.
- Included among the items available to guests is a reef/snorkelling boat and snorkelling equipment, scuba diving equipment, sailing boats, a deep sea fishing boat, fishing equipment, jet skis, kayaks, stand-up pedal boards, wakeboards, tubes, water skis, and beach volleyball equipment.
- Add to this list the floodlit tennis court and table tennis table, and you have the recipe for a very sporty stay!
However, more relaxing pastimes are possible too.
- You could take the Thanda Island Egret Walk, created by General Manager Oscar, to watch these beautiful birds enjoying their island home.
- If you fancy getting out on the water just to relax, you could consider a cruise around Thanda and the neighbouring islands. The cruise boat comes with deluxe cabin, cocktail bar, waiter, and music system, which all sounds good to us!
- Other excursions available include Chole Island, Mafia Island, the fragrant spice island of Zanzibar, and even Dar es Salaam, with its vibrant harbour and bustling markets.
- Alternatively, you can simply find a comfy spot on Thanda’s beach and soak up some glorious sunshine!