Nkonzi Bush Camp is owned and operated by Gavin Opie, a company that provides high-quality and great-value safaris! The accommodation is booked on an all-inclusive board basis, and includes local drinks. The camp is open from 1st June to 31st October.
ACCESS & LOCATION:
The camp is situated in the northern region of South Luangwa National Park. It’s accessed via road transfer from Mfuwe International Airport, provided by camp staff. The journey from the airport to the park gate takes about 45 minutes, and the remaining hour or so is experienced as a game drive! The site has a lovely location beneath mature trees along the banks of the dry Mushilashi river, with a natural lagoon just 300 metres away.
ACCOMMODATION & FACILITIES AT NKONZI BUSH CAMP:
Nkonzi Bush Camp has just four canvas tents. Each contains a double bed or twin beds, with treated mosquito nets available on request. There’s also a storage unit for clothes and other belongings. At the back of every tent, a canvas door leads into the en-suite washroom. This is enclosed within bamboo walls, to ensure guest privacy. The floors have smooth bamboo matting, and the facilities comprise flush toilet, vanity unit with washbasin and mirror over, and classic bucket shower! Hot and cold water are provided, and camp staff supply hand soap and towels. A limited laundry service is available for free.
The camp’s lounge and dining areas are set up in a spacious mess tent, measuring 10 metres by 6. The lounge includes well-cushioned wood-framed seating around a coffee table, while the dining area features a large table flanked by campaign chairs – this is where everyone tucks in to delicious meals! Nkonzi has a bar too, as well as a small library section. Guests can also dine al fresco, and there’s a fantastic little fire-pit for getting to know your fellow travellers and swapping safari stories!
ACTIVITIES AT NKONZI BUSH CAMP:
- Nkonzi Bush Camp activities focus on seeing the wildlife in this area of the South Luangwa, on game drives and walking safaris. Both types of activity take place during the morning and the afternoon.
- Drives are also available during the evening and as a full-day excursion where guests are staying for a minimum of three nights. Each safari vehicle accommodates a maximum of six guests, and a private vehicle and guide can be arranged on advance notice.
- The South Luangwa is home to a wonderful array of wildlife! The predator count features lion, leopard, spotted hyena, and wild dog, while herbivores in residence include huge herds of elephant and buffalo, in addition to impressive concentrations of Thornicroft’s giraffe, Cookson’s wildebeest, Crawshay’s zebra, and an exciting assortment of antelopes.
- The birding is excellent too, with upwards of 400 species recorded in the region. If you visit any time from August to October, you might spot the migrant carmine bee-eater, nesting in holes along the park’s riverbanks.
- Walking safaris present thrilling opportunities for a closer look at the birdlife of the South Luangwa, as well as its insect life and plant life.
- Nkonzi has a hide as well, a must-visit for keen photographers!
- Stargazing is available too.
*This property is unfenced and located in a wildlife area, so large and potentially dangerous animals do pass through. If you opt to stay here, always be alert when walking around the camp and request for a member of staff to escort you if you have any concerns. Any guest is escorted after dark as a matter of course.