Villa Kidosho is privately owned and operated. Together with another villa property – Asili House – it forms part of Matlai Zanzibar. In the Kiswahili language, the word Matlai means the first breeze in the early morning, signalling the beginning of the day for the fishermen of Zanzibar. This is a special time on the island, and Matlai’s staff seek to recreate the magic in the service they provide. The villa can be booked on an exclusive basis and is suitable for couples, groups, families, and honeymooners. Various honeymoon packages are available, so do get in touch with us for all the details!
ACCESS & LOCATION:
The villa is approached via approximately 1 hour 20 minutes’ drive from the international airport at Zanzibar, Abeid Amani Karume. It has a spectacular location on the Michawi Peninsula, right on the beach. Guests enjoy just a short stroll from the entrance of the property to access those pure white sands – bliss!
ACCOMMODATION & FACILITIES AT VILLA KIDOSHO:
There are two suites, and each has a theme – Jua (Sun) and Mwezi (Moon). The names are inspired by a slightly sinister story! Jua and Mwezi once lived as husband and wife, with plenty of stars, their children. However, one day Mwezi was attracted to a charismatic chief who came to their village. Mwezi and the chief left the village together and ever since that time Jua has chased them relentlessly. One day, the story ends, he will capture Mwezi and lock her in a deep pit. She will never rise again and all the star-children will be eaten! Fortunately, the accommodation is not as sinister as the story – it’s really very pleasant. The total floor space of each suite is 70 square meters. Each boasts a king-size bed, fans and air conditioning, a desk, a sitting area, a TV and DVD player, a mobile phone, a mini-bar, a safe, mosquito nets, and a spacious private terrace. Each en-suite bathroom has a separate toilet, twin washbasins, twin showers, a bath tub, a vanity unit, and lovely views of the ocean. The bathrooms also come with a few free toiletries – shampoo, conditioner, body wash, body lotion, bath cap, nail file, sewing kit, and hairdryer!
Overall, the villa has the look of a sultan’s palace with its tall pillars, immaculate whitewashed walls, and glorious interiors. Kidosho means ‘beauty’ in Swahili, and this really is one of the most gorgeous properties available on Zanzibar. It covers plenty of floor space too. In fact, the lounge is absolutely enormous, with a special elevated seating area where you can relax and enjoy views out to sea. There is also an elegant dining area, a coffee bar, a guest library, sun-facing terraces set with sunloungers and dining tables, and an infinity pool with Jacuzzi jets!
ACTIVITIES AT VILLA KIDOSHO:
There are loads of things to do in Zanzibar.
- You could start with a trip to Stone Town, to check out the small streets full of shops and boutiques, in addition to the town’s very busy market!
- If you are a nature lover, we recommend an excursion to Jozani Forest, where you can spot red colobus monkey, blue vervet monkey, Aders’ duiker, and a whole host of beautiful birdlife. The Forest also has a breeding station for turtles!
- Zanzibar’s butterfly centre is also well worth a visit, while culture fans will relish an historical tour of the island – for example, you could take the Spice Tour.
- All sorts of watersports are possible, such as SUP (stand-up paddle), snorkelling, diving, and kitesurfing.
- You can even go swimming with dolphins!
- Fishing trips are available too, and so is golf on Zanzibar’s new course, built in 2015 and featuring 9 holes and 18 tees.