Kirkman’s Kamp is owned and operated by &Beyond. This company prides itself on a signature blend of natural luxury in combination with great guiding and superb service standards. Its extensive portfolio covers many countries within Safari Africa, as well as Asia and South America. Located in one of the best game viewing areas in the Sabi Sands, you simply cannot go wrong with Kirkmans. The accommodation is booked on a full-board basis, including three meals daily, a selection of alcoholic and soft drinks, all safari activities, transfers between the camp and Skukuza Airport, and Wi-Fi. Presently there’s a honeymoon offer, involving a saving of 50 percent on one partner’s accommodation and various surprises included in the cost of your stay! In addition, children of all ages are welcome.
ACCESS & LOCATION:
The camp is accessed via road transfer from Skukuza Airport. It has a stunning setting, featuring rolling lawns and spectacular vistas over the wild eastern region of the Sabi Sands.
ACCOMMODATION & FACILITIES AT KIRKMAN'S KAMP:
Guest accommodation consists of 12 cottages, effectively nine semi-detached structures positioned on the camp’s beautiful lawns. These are colonial-style buildings, featuring white-painted doors and window frames, grey-painted walls, and a high-pitched tin roof that extends well over the front of the structure to form a shady veranda. Each front veranda has a bench and a couple of plants, for a homely feel. Inside, you’ll find a spacious bedroom, with double or twin beds, bedside tables and lighting, a floor lamp adjacent to a couple of easy chairs, and an air conditioning unit. A rug or two adds comfort to the wooden floor, while a display of mostly black-and-white photos on the wall above the bed may be of interest to history buffs. En-suite facilities comprise flush toilet, washbasin within a large vanity unit, step-up shower, and claw-foot bathtub with shower attachment. At the back of each cottage, there’s another veranda, offering lovely views over the Sabi Sands! And each room has Wi-Fi.
The communal lodge at Kirkman’s Kamp is located just a short stroll from the cottages. It too is colonial in style, with a lot of the same external features as the guest accommodation. The interiors include a 1920s-era lounge. This contains well-cushioned benches and armchairs around patterned ottomans and variously shaped tables, as well as overhead fans, floor lighting, and a selection of guns mounted on the wall. Above the room’s cozy fireplace, there’s a picture of Harry Kirkman himself with a gun. The walls bear wildlife artwork and wildlife heads in equal measure. The lodge is also home to a library, a dining room, and a bar known as Harry’s Bar, also with a hunting theme. There’s an extensive deck at the rear of the building, where you can tuck in to delicious meals while enjoying views over the lawns – it isn’t uncommon for warthog to stop by and graze! Kirkman’s has a boma too, and a safari shop. And guests have access to a very inviting rim-flow swimming pool, flanked by sunloungers under parasols and perfect for a refreshing dip in the heat of the day.
ACTIVITIES AT KIRKMAN'S KAMP:
The camp offers an exciting range of activities.
- Game drives are available during early morning and late afternoon into evening, always in the presence of a highly knowledgeable and experienced tracker and guide.
- The Sabi Sands shares an unfenced border with the immense Kruger National Park, and there’s a lot of wildlife wandering through!
- The reserve also benefits from a wide variety of habitats, such as sprawling savanna, woodlands, and not least the two seasonal rivers from which its name derives.
- All Big Five are in residence – lion, rhino, leopard, elephant, and buffalo.
- Big cat concentrations are particularly impressive here.
- Smaller predators you can expect to see include cheetah, hyenas, jackals, and the rare wild dog, while the herbivore count features giraffe, wildebeest, zebra, and numerous antelope species!
- The water sources attract numerous hippo and 45 types of fish.
- Keen birders can scan the skies, trees, grasses, and rivers for hundreds of feathery friends, with specials including hawk eagle, purple heron, grey cuckoo-shrike, and the regal emerald cuckoo.
- The camp’s bush walks are ideal for travelers hoping to take a closer look at the birdlife of the reserve, as well as the insects and plants.
- Local community visits are offered too – for example, to the village of Justicia, where you can take a tour of the Happy Homes Preschool and meet the children who attend there.
- Back at the camp, and after sunset, you can enjoy a specialist star photography lesson!
- And Kirkman’s offers &Beyond’s renowned WILDChild program, featuring tracking, fishing, painting, and more.
*This property is unfenced and located in a wildlife area, so large and potentially dangerous animals do pass through. If you opt to stay here, always be alert when walking around the camp and request for a member of staff to escort you if you have any concerns. Any guest is escorted after dark as a matter of course.