Inyati Lodge is an excellent option for checking out all the wildlife of the Sabi Sand area – and we love the riverside location!
ACCESS & LOCATION:
Inyati is accessed through the Sabi Sand Reserve’s Newington Gate. There are three fly-in options, using Skukuza Kruger National Park Airport, Kruger Mpumalanga International Airport, or Ulusaba runway, which is just 10 minutes’ drive from the Lodge.
ACCOMMODATION & FACILITIES AT INYATI GAME LODGE:
Close to the Sand River, Inyati is constructed from timber, stone, thatch, and glass, and surrounded by well-kept gardens. The Reception area includes the shop, which stocks curio and craft items in addition to a few necessities such as batteries and sunscreen. There are inside and outside spaces for lounging, all with comfortable seating. The outdoor lounge boasts superb views, while the indoor lounge benefits from being close to the Lodge’s bar! The dining spaces are comfy too and visitors who enjoy eating al fresco will love the traditional boma, where dinner is served every evening, weather permitting. The property has a walk-in wine cellar, as well as an air-conditioned gym and a spacious swimming pool.
Guest accommodation at Inyati consists of 11 chalets, all dotted about the Lodge’s grounds. These are similar in style to the main building and they come in three categories: Luxury, Executive, and Family Suite. The thatched roof overhang of each chalet provides a shady seating area, set with a table and chairs. Inside the Luxury and Executive options, there is a double bed or twin beds, with room to accommodate a younger child. There is a direct dial telephone too, plus bedside tables and lighting, an additional seating area, ample storage space, and en-suite facilities comprising flush toilet, washbasin/s, shower, and bath. The Family Suite contains all these amenities and can accommodate up to two adults and two children in its super-spacious bedroom! The décor overall is unpretentious and attractive, featuring wildlife artwork and curio pieces for an authentic vibe. All chalets also have air conditioning, heating, overhead fans, a safe, tea- and coffee-making facilities, and a mini-bar.
ACTIVITIES AT INYATI GAME LODGE:
Inyati offers a good range of activities, focused on getting to know the wildlife of Sabi Sand.
- Game drives take place in early morning and late afternoon. The afternoon drives extend into the evening, so you have a chance to see the nocturnal wildlife of the Reserve!
- All Big Five are in residence here – lion, rhino, leopard, elephant, and buffalo.
- The Sabi Sand Reserve is famous for sightings of leopard, so elusive elsewhere! You can also expect to view cheetah, hyena, giraffe, zebra, wildebeest, and a whole host of antelope species. Wild dog are rare, but you might get lucky nevertheless!
- The ‘Secret Seven’ is worth looking out for too. Comprising serval, African wild cat, aardvark, pangolin, large-spotted genet, civet, and porcupine, the creatures in this category are fairly furtive, which means they are fun to find!
- If you are hoping for closer encounters with wildlife, we recommend Inyati’s bush walks, which are brilliant for checking out the small life of Sabi Sand – birds, insects, plants, for example.
- Unfortunately these walks are not possible for children aged 15 years and under. However, youngsters will have a great time on the Junior Rangers Programme, which includes tracking, insect collection, stargazing, and basic training with firearms.
- Finally, everyone can have a go at fishing in the Sand River, not far from the Lodge. This is also an exciting opportunity to spot hippos!