Londolozi Varty Camp is one of five properties located within the private Londolozi Reserve. At the time of writing, it’s the oldest and largest camp – and also one of the best-value options within the reserve by a long way. Named after the Varty family, who founded Londolozi and established the very first camp here in 1926, Varty Camp is also our top choice for families. It has been awarded a Certificate of Excellence from TripAdvisor! The accommodation is booked on a full-board basis, including all meals, a selection of alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks, two game drives daily, safari walks, one group yoga session daily at Founders Camp, the Cubs Den program, transfers between camp and the Londolozi airstrip, and a laundry service. The camp is open all year round and children aged 6 years and older are welcome.
ACCESS & LOCATION:
The camp is accessed via road transfer from the local airstrip. It has a lovely location close to the seasonal Sand river, which attracts a wealth of wildlife!
ACCOMMODATION & FACILITIES AT LONDOLOZI VARTY CAMP:
Guest accommodation consists of eight standard chalets and two superior chalets. Each is a timber-and-thatch structure overlooking the river, spaced approximately 15 meters from its neighbour/s. The rooms are furnished in what we think of as classic Londolozi style, with whites, creams, dark woods, and chocolate leather. Every standard chalet contains a king-size bed or twin beds with mosquito nets, bedside tables and lighting, and ample storage space. Additional amenities include air conditioning, fans, a telephone, a mini-bar, a safe, a hairdryer, and internet access. The en-suite facilities comprise flush toilet, twin washbasins, and step-up shower. Outside, there’s a deck, complete with sala and private plunge pool! The superior chalets benefit from all the features of the standard chalets, in addition to extra bed space and an outdoor shower. In place of an en-suite shower room, each has a shared bathroom. We recommend the superior chalets for family use.
Varty Camp’s communal lodge is raised on stilts above ground level, and provides amazing views over the Sand river! Inside, you’ll find a sumptuous lounge, with plenty of comfortable seating around coffee tables. Chocolate leather features again here, alongside well-cushioned wood-framed armchairs and zebra-print poufs! There’s a cozy fireplace too, as well as shelves full of interesting artifacts and a lot of black-and-white photographs on the walls. Moving into the dining area, you’ll see chic individual tables and upright chairs – and beyond this, a deck where you can tuck in to delicious meals while marveling at the scenery! Varty Camp also has a well-stocked bar, a fitness center, a spa called Healing House, and Cubs Den, an activity area for children (see below for further details). There’s a photographic studio as well, and a refreshing swimming pool.
ACTIVITIES AT LONDOLOZI VARTY CAMP:
The camp offers an exciting variety of activities.
- Expertly guided game drives take place during early morning and late afternoon, with guests enjoying sightings of a fine assortment of wildlife across the 16,000 hectares of the Londolozi Reserve!
- All Big Five are in residence – lion, rhino, leopard, elephant, and buffalo.
- Among the smaller predators to look out for are cheetah, hyenas, jackals, and rare wild dog, while the herbivore count features giraffe, wildebeest, zebra, and lots of antelope species!
- During the green season the Sand river is home to numerous hippopotamus and 45 types of fish.
- Birds also abound, from raptors to waterbirds to songbirds.
- Varty Camp’s safari walks are highly recommended for anyone intrigued by the smaller lives of the reserve – not only the birds, but also the plants and insects.
- Photographic safaris are possible too.
- If you appreciate learning about the local culture while on safari, you’ll be keen to take up opportunities to walk around the local village and to visit the community.
- Yoga is available at Founders Camp, which is situated just a short distance from Varty.
- And young safarists (6–16 years) are kept happily occupied at Cubs Den, with spoor identification, birdwatching, bug catching, African dance, and even dung spitting!
*This property is unfenced and located in a wildlife area, so large and potentially dangerous animals do pass through. If you opt to stay here, always be alert when walking around the camp and request for a member of staff to escort you if you have any concerns. Any guest is escorted after dark as a matter of course.