Lion Sands River Lodge is owned and operated by MORE, a family company that specialises in unique and life-enriching experiences across Southern Africa. MORE runs six properties within Lion Sands Reserve, and River Lodge was the first to be established here. It has been awarded a Certificate of Excellence from TripAdvisor! The accommodation is booked on a full-board basis, including all meals, a selection of alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks, mini-bar, two game drives daily, transfers between the lodge and Skukuza Airport, and Wi-Fi. The lodge is open all year round. Children aged 10 years and older are welcome, and access for disabled travellers is available on request.
ACCESS & LOCATION:
The lodge is accessed via 25 minutes’ road transfer from Skukuza Airport. It’s situated within Lion Sands Game Reserve, on the beautiful banks of the seasonal Sabi river.
ACCOMMODATION & FACILITIES AT LION SAND RIVER LODGE:
Guest accommodation consists of eight Luxury Rooms, six Superior Luxury Rooms, and four River Suites, one of which has two bedrooms. All are positioned within classic timber, stone, and thatch structures set out along the riverbanks on either side of the property’s central lodge. Inside, the décor has a fresh and modern feel. The Luxury Room offers 66 square metres of floor space. Every bedroom within this category has a double bed or twin beds, bedside tables and lighting, a dressing table and chair, a wardrobe, a luggage rack, and a well-stocked mini-bar. Additional amenities include air conditioning, room fans, direct dial telephone, safe, and hairdryer, and en-suite facilities comprise flush toilet, twin washbasins, shower, and bathtub. There’s also a fantastic viewing deck! The Superior Luxury Room option benefits from all the features of the Luxury Room, as well as an outdoor shower. Covering 98 sq m, it’s more spacious too – and two pairs of this type of room interconnect, which is great for small groups or families. Travellers looking for something even more generously proportioned could consider a one-bedroom River Suite, which boasts everything the Superior Luxury Room provides, plus its own garden complete with private plunge pool! And finally, the two-bedroom River Suite has an extra twin bedroom, and it’s also known as the Family Suite. Please contact us to discuss which option would be best for you.
Most of River Lodge’s communal areas are linked to the guest accommodation along neat wooden pathways. We love the safari lounge and bar, which features comfortable sofas and armchairs around wooden coffee tables, an assortment of intriguing artefacts, some interesting wall artwork, and a very cosy fireplace! The palette is made up mostly of sand and earth tones, so the space has a really natural vibe. Next door, there’s the dining room, with chic individual tables laid ready for delicious meals. Guests can also tuck in to delicious food and drink within the traditional boma and on the spectacularly located dining deck! Also close by is the property’s barista’s station, offering artisanal beverages, in addition to a gallery showcasing Sabi Sands artists and a boutique selling a range of curios. Guests also have access to a memory lab, for printing photographs on canvas, plus a friendly fire-pit and an inviting swimming pool! A short distance from this central hub, you’ll find River Lodge’s superb spa and well-equipped gym.
ACTIVITIES AT LION SAND RIVER LODGE:
One particularly brilliant feature of Lion Sands Reserve is that it shares traversing rights with a neighbouring reserve, so safarists are able to visit both the Sabi and Sand rivers.
- These water sources attract oodles of wildlife – and within some of Africa’s finest habitats too!
- Expertly guided game drives start out from the lodge early in the morning and late in the afternoon.
- Among the wildlife highlights here are all Big Five – lion, rhino, leopard, elephant, and buffalo. In fact, the Sabi Sands is famous for its big cat densities.
- Other predators in residence include cheetah, hyenas, jackals, and the rare wild dog, while the herbivore count features giraffe, wildebeest, zebra, and an exciting variety of antelopes!
- There’s plenty for keen birders to observe too, not least specials such as hawk eagle, purple heron, grey cuckoo-shrike, and the vibrant emerald cuckoo.
- For a closer look at the birdlife, as well as the insects and plants of the region, guests can head out on walks after breakfast, also in the presence of a knowledgeable and experienced guide. Please note, there’s a minimum age requirement of 16 years for this activity.
- However, younger travellers are kept happily occupied back at the lodge, with shorter nature walks, treasure hunts, and much more!
*This property is unfenced and located in a wildlife area, so large and potentially dangerous animals do pass through. If you opt to stay here, always be alert when walking around the camp and request for a member of staff to escort you if you have any concerns. Any guest is escorted after dark as a matter of course.