Ulusaba Rock Lodge is owned and operated by Virgin Limited Edition. This is Sir Richard Branson’s portfolio of spectacular retreats, spanning Kenya’s Maasai Mara National Reserve, Mallorca, Morocco, and more. All are characterised by a stunning location and luxurious accommodation. Rock Lodge has received a Certificate of Excellence from TripAdvisor! The accommodation is booked on a full-board basis, including all meals, all drinks, all mini-bar items, twice-daily game drives, transfers between the lodge and the private airstrip, and Wi-Fi. The lodge is open all year round & children of all ages are welcome.
ACCESS & LOCATION:
ACCOMMODATION & FACILITIES AT ULUSABA ROCK LODGE:
Guest accommodation consists of eight rooms and suites, in four categories. All are timber, stone, and thatch structures, spread over the kopje and characterised by sharply pointed roofing. Four Rock Cliff rooms adjoin each other, with two built to a split-level design. Each bedroom contains a double bed or twin beds, headboard lighting, a writing desk and chair, a separate seating area, and ample storage space. The décor includes chunky wooden sculptures as part of the bed frame/s, variously patterned pillows, and wildlife wall artwork. The split-level rooms have a lounge area on the lower level. En-suite facilities typically comprise flush toilet, twin washbasins with mirrors over, shower, and freestanding bathtub. This option has a private veranda too, offering spectacular views to the south. Rock Lodge also has one Rock Suite, benefiting from two bedrooms. The second bedroom provides bunk beds and a modest en-suite shower room – it’s highly recommended for families! The third option, Master Suite, was constructed with honeymooners in mind. It occupies three levels and has a particularly spacious bedroom, en-suite bathroom, and lounge with deck. There’s also a private balcony, complete with plunge pool and beautiful views. Finally, there are two Makwela suites, also offering a lot of floor space. They boast all the amenities of the Master Suite in addition to a study/library, and they’re fab for families too!
Rock Lodge’s communal facilities are accessed from the guest accommodation along stone pathways and steps, some of which are fairly steep. The main lodge is another timber, stone, and thatch build, surrounded by pleasantly landscaped gardens. The interiors include sumptuous lounge areas, generally offering comfortable sofas and armchairs around coffee tables, elegant lighting, a widescreen television, and shelves displaying an array of artefacts. Adjacent to one lounge space is the dining area, featuring a long table flanked by upright chairs – and every chair has antlers on its top! The lodge also contains a well-stocked bar, a great spot for getting to know your fellow travellers. Outside, there are a number of decks, where you can relax, tuck in to delicious food and drink, and enjoy amazing views over the reserve. Anyone in need of a little pampering can head to the Aroma Boma spa for a range of facials and massages, while the gym has a treadmill, a bike, and a weight station for travellers who like to keep fit while on vacation. And there’s a very inviting pool with a view, perfect for a refreshing dip between activities – and heated during the winter months too!
*Please be aware that we are unable to book this property for families with young children under the age of 6 years, for safety reasons relating to the balconies/decks/walkways.*
ACTIVITIES AT ULUSABA ROCK LODGE:
The lodge offers an exhilarating variety of activities.
- Expertly guided game drives are available during early morning and late afternoon into evening, providing thrilling opportunities to explore Ulusaba Reserve.
- The reserve’s 13,500 hectares of savanna, woodlands, and water sources are home to a real wealth of wildlife.
- All Big Five are in residence – lion, rhino, leopard, elephant, and buffalo.
- Among the smaller mammals you can expect to see are cheetah, hyenas, jackals, wild dog, hippo, giraffe, wildebeest, zebra, and an enticing assortment of antelopes!
- There are also hundreds of birds, so it’s well worth bringing your binoculars.
- Safari walks take place in the presence of a knowledgeable and experienced ranger and tracker, and they’re ideal for taking a closer look at the reserve’s birds, insects, and plant life.
- You can also get active by playing tennis!
- Two scenic tours can be arranged – one a drive along the Panorama Route that takes in the main attractions, and the other a helicopter flight over the route, known as Cascades and Canyons Spectacular.
- Village visits are possible too, and an evening of stargazing can be enjoyed in Ulusaba’s observatory.
- And there are lots of things to do for children. All kids receive a backpack full of safari goodies on arrival, and youngsters aged 6 years and over are welcome on game drives.
- For more information about children’s activities, and anything else to do with staying at Ulusaba Rock Lodge, please contact a member of the YZ team.
*This property is unfenced and located in a wildlife area, so large and potentially dangerous animals do pass through. If you opt to stay here, always be alert when walking around the camp and request for a member of staff to escort you if you have any concerns. Any guest is escorted after dark as a matter of course.