The lodge is owned and operated by Kirurumu, a well-established company with a portfolio including properties in the Serengeti, the Ngorongoro area, and Tarangire N.P. Kirurumu Manyara provides accommodation to suit most types of traveller, with children of all ages accepted. The lodge has been awarded a TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence and is rated in the Top Ten of properties in Lake Manyara N.P.
ACCESS & LOCATION:
Situated 2½ hours from Arusha, Kirurumu Manyara is also accessible via road transfer from Lake Manyara Airstrip (15 minutes), as well as the Ngorongoro gate and Tarangire (40 minutes each). A neat sandy road leads to the lodge, which is surrounded by vegetation and made of timber, stone, and thatch in the classic safari style.
ACCOMMODATION & FACILITIES AT KIRURUMU MANYARA LODGE:
The interiors include a relaxing lounge, with well-cushioned wood-framed furniture, coffee tables, occasional tables, and a few rugs and plants. The presence of wood and plants, and the red/orange palette, altogether lend an earthy feel. The lodge’s dining room is comfortable too, featuring separate tables and upright chairs with cushion attachments. From both areas, guests can marvel at the views below. Finally, the bar contains a mixture of sturdy stools and sofas, and it boasts its own sun deck. This is the perfect place to unwind while getting to know your fellow travellers!
Guest accommodation at Kirurumu Manyara consists of 27 tented rooms, 2 honeymoon suites, and 2 family cottages. All are positioned a short distance from the communal lodge, along well-laid pathways. The site covers over 5 hectares and all units are spaced well apart. Each standard room is mounted on a plinth and has a wooden veranda at the front, accessed via a few steps to the side. The frame of each structure is wooden too, and it supports a pitched thatch roof – we like the rustic design of these buildings. To enter the room, guests unzip a canvas opening. Inside, there is a double bed, twin beds, or triples, as well as bedside tables and lighting, a writing desk and chair, and en-suite facilities comprising flush toilet, washbasin, and shower with hot and cold running water. Staff provide drinking water, and every tent has 24-hour electricity. Both the honeymoon suites and the family cottages provide the same amenities. The suites occupy a secluded location, and the cottages have an extra bedroom for kids.
ACTIVITIES AT KIRURUMU MANYARA LODGE:
Kirurumu Manyara is well placed to offer an exciting assortment of activities:
- The national park of Lake Manyara is just 20 minutes from the lodge and provides some seriously good wildlife viewing.
- Lion, leopard, elephant, and buffalo – four of the Big Five – are present, in addition to many other predators and herbivores.
- The park is particularly renowned for its tree-climbing lion population!
- Vast flocks of flamingos feed in the lake during the wet season, and a thrilling range of other birds may be spotted throughout the year. Both the Ngorongoro Conservation Area and Tarangire National Park are not too far from the lodge, and well worth a visit.
- Kirurumu Manyara offers Maasai-guided ethno-botanical walks, hiking, mountain biking, and even fly camping in the nearby forest!