Maramboi Tented Camp is a superb choice for travellers who like the idea of being based close to Lake Manyara, with the opportunity to take in Tarangire too.
ACCESS & LOCATION:
Maramboi is accessed via a 25-minute flight from Arusha to Manyara or a scenic road transfer from Arusha lasting approximately two hours.
ACCOMMODATION & FACILITIES AT MARAMBOI TENTED CAMP:
The communal lodge is a large structure made from stone, wood, and thatch, raised quite majestically above ground level. Tall sturdy beams support a high pitched roof and the floor is shiny boarding. The wood theme continues in the lounge, which has plenty of wood-framed cushioned chairs and sofas arranged around chunky coffee tables. Pink, green, and blue fabrics lend a cheerful ambience. The dining area has seating both inside and outside – we recommend eating and drinking on the deck, so you can enjoy amazing views across the plains that are often frequented by zebra! On clear days, you can see beyond the sands, grasses, and palm trees as far as Ol Doinyo Lengai, the live volcano in the Lake Natron region. The deck is also perfect for relaxing and it includes a spacious swimming pool. Just below the lodge, there is the camp’s fire pit, where guests gather come dusk to sink a few sundowners and share their safari stories!
Guest accommodation at Maramboi consists of 40 rooms and suites – 26 standards, 10 suites, 4 family units. All are stone, wood, and thatch structures, raised on stilts and connected to the lodge along sandy stone-lined pathways. You can choose from a king-size bed or twin beds, and there are even triple rooms available. The standard rooms feature a ceiling fan and freestanding fan, 24-hour electricity, an internal telephone, a charging outlet for cameras and other equipment, mosquito nets, mineral water, and en-suite facilities including a built-in shower. Suites come with standard features plus a private veranda, additional drinks such as sodas and beers, and complimentary Wi-Fi. The family units comprise two suites together. All options are very comfortable and pleasantly decorated, with splashes of colour and cast iron embellishments to the wooden furniture. Rugs on the floor and a few plants dotted about create a homely feel!
ACTIVITIES AT MARAMBOI TENTED CAMP:
Maramboi is well positioned to offer some superb safari activities:
- The camp has private access to Lake Manyara’s south shore, where guests can enjoy great game drives and walking safaris.
- This national park is considered one of the prettiest in all Africa, with its sheer expanse of water and Rift Valley backdrop. Throughout the year, guests can check out a great range of predators and herbivores – lion, leopard, cheetah, elephant, giraffe, zebra, monkeys, gazelles, and hippos.
- The birdlife is also seriously impressive, with over 400 species in residence!
- These include flocks of flamingos, absolutely enormous during the wet season, as well as a fine assortment of ducks, storks, herons, pelicans, cranes, raptors, and guineafowl.
- A walking safari is an awesome opportunity to get out your binocs for some brilliant birdwatching!
- Guests of Maramboi are also able to visit Tarangire, the sixth-largest national park in Tanzania. This too is rich in wildlife and is particularly renowned for its immense concentrations of elephant! The park is 70km from Lake Manyara and makes for a great add-on to a stay here.
- And if you like a little culture on holiday, you will love getting to know the local Datoga and Maasai tribes.
*This property is unfenced and located in a wildlife area, so large and potentially dangerous animals do pass through. If you opt to stay here, always be alert when walking around the camp and request for a member of staff to escort you if you have any concerns. Any guest is escorted after dark as a matter of course.
Maramboi has a Certificate of Excellence from TripAdvisor! Children of all ages are welcome and the camp is suitable for most types of travellers.