Manyara Green Camp is owned and operated by Wayo Africa, a company specialising in authentic safaris within some of Tanzania’s remotest regions. As a green camp, it’s described as smart and very comfortable. The property is a relative newbie in the Manyara area, but it has already received excellent reviews! The accommodation is booked on a full-board basis, including all meals, and a selection of alcoholic and soft drinks. Children aged 16 years and younger incur 50 per cent off the adult rate. The camp is closed during April and May.
ACCESS & LOCATION:
The camp can be accessed via 40 kilometres’ road transfer from Lake Manyara Airstrip. It has a beautiful location in the southern part of the national park, just beneath the falls of the River Endabash and opposite the Great Rift Valley escarpment.
ACCOMMODATION & FACILITIES AT MANYARA GREEN CAMP:
Guest accommodation consists of eight bell tents, all positioned on top of decks made out of sustainable teak. Each tent measures 4.5 by 4.5 metres. Room features include a double bed or twin beds, bedside tables and lighting, and luggage racks. At the front of every tent there’s a private veranda, with a couple of chairs and a small table. This is a great spot for relaxing and enjoying your views! The washing facilities are set up next to the tents, and every unit has a low-flush composting toilet, a washbasin with hot and cold running waters, and a classic bucket shower. Soap, shampoo, and conditioner are supplied.
Green Camp’s communal lounge and dining areas are found in a pleasant mess tent. The lounge contains plenty of comfortable seating and occasional tables, and it flows out onto a veranda where you can socialise with fellow guests while tucking into snacks and drinks. This is also a great location for watching the local wildlife, with lion, elephant, and buffalo often seen nearby! In the dining area, guests eat together, but meals are frequently enjoyed in al fresco areas around camp. There’s a smashing little fire-pit too, where guests gather to swap their safari stories!
ACTIVITIES AT MANYARA GREEN CAMP:
The camp offers an exciting variety of activities.
- Expertly guided game drives in Lake Manyara National Park head off in early morning and late afternoon.
- With two thirds of the park covered by the lake, Manyara is considered the prettiest park of Tanzania – and with the Great Rift Valley providing a spectacular backdrop! Particular highlights here are tree-climbing lions and the vast flocks of flamingo that create a pink haze. Among other species you can expect to see are predators such as leopard, hyenas, and jackals, herbivores including giraffe, zebra, and antelopes, and hundreds of birds, not least pelicans, egrets, storks, cranes, and ibis. Hippo are numerous, and baboons can be spotted in impressive concentrations too.
- Green Camp offers nature walks as well, on the edge of the Great Rift Valley and down through the forest.
- Canoe trips take place on the lake, offering amazing opportunities to spot wildlife grazing along the shore.
- Biking is possible, with a typical ride lasting 2 hours and involving a tour of Mto Wa Mbu, a local village.
- Walks through Mto Wa Mbu are also available. And you can ascend into the treetops of Manyara’s forest to try out the Treetop Walkway! The walkway is 370 metres long, with a maximum height of 18m. It’s essentially a series of suspension bridges between viewing decks, where you can pause to look out for monkeys, butterflies, and birds. You’ll be accompanied by knowledgeable guides, who’ll be on hand to tell you all about the flora and fauna in this captivating part of the world.
*This property is unfenced and located in a wildlife area, so large and potentially dangerous animals do pass through. If you opt to stay here, always be alert when walking around the camp and request for a member of staff to escort you if you have any concerns. Any guest is escorted after dark as a matter of course.