Chem Chem Lodge is privately owned and operated, by ex-professional safari guide Nicolas Negre and his wife, former investment banker Fabia Bausch. Nicolas and Fabia are interested not only in providing first-class safari experiences to their guests, but also in conserving the area’s ecosystem and benefiting local communities by means of sustainable development. The accommodation is booked on a full-board basis, including three meals daily, a selection of alcoholic and soft drinks, arrival transfer from Kuro Airstrip, all safari activities in Chem Chem’s reserve, game drives into Tarangire, village visits, Wi-Fi, and a laundry service. Children incur a reduced rate – please contact us for information. The lodge is closed from 1st April to 14th May every year.
ACCESS & LOCATION:
The lodge is situated in a private reserve within the Burunge Wildlife Management Area, between the national parks of Tarangire and Lake Manyara. It has a lovely location, surrounded by acacias and palm trees amidst rolling grassland. Chem Chem can be accessed via 3 hours 30 minutes’ road transfer from Kilimanjaro International Airport, 2 hours’ drive from Arusha, or 1 hour 30 minutes’ drive from Lake Manyara Airstrip. There’s the option of game drive transfers, in the company of a camp guide.
ACCOMMODATION & FACILITIES AT CHEM CHEM SAFARI LODGE:
Guest accommodation consists of eight tent-style suites, including one unit for family use. All are raised above ground level, spaced well apart, and accessed along wooden walkways. Each standard suite boasts 100 square metres of floor space, so it feels very spacious. On entering, you’ll find a hallway with a table and a couple of lamps, wildlife artwork, a luggage rack, and a full-length mirror. Moving into the bedroom area, there’s a double bed or twin beds, bedside tables and lighting, a standing fan, two storage trunks, a tea-and-coffee station, and a separate seating area with armchairs and a pouffe. The en-suite facilities comprise flush toilet, twin washbasins in a stand with mirror over, a freestanding bathtub with shower attachment, and an outside shower. Every suite also has a lovely private veranda, which is set with a couple of campaign chairs and a table as well as a day bed. From here, you can gaze across the grassland and look out for some local wildlife! The family suite is a standard suite that’s connected to an en-suite tented room via a little wooden bridge, and it can sleep a maximum of two adults and three children.
Chem Chem’s communal lodge is a classic timber, stone, and thatch construction with a bit of a twist – with a sprawling wing on either side, it resembles a flamingo! One wing holds the camp’s lounge and bar, which features comfortable sofas and armchairs around coffee tables, a selection of reading material, and amazing vistas over the private reserve. You can also marvel at the scenery while tucking in to delicious food and drink in the dining area, within the opposite wing. Furnished with chic individual tables and cushioned chairs, this is a very pleasant space in which to enjoy the camp’s buffet breakfasts, light lunches, and three-course dinners. The last meal of the day is served in a range of al fresco locations too, which is ideal if you prefer private dining. The lodge also has a viewing deck, situated on its upper level, while its fire-pit is adjacent to the dining area. There’s a gym too, and anyone in need of a spot of pampering can head to Amani Spa for massage therapy. And there’s a sparkling swimming pool in the shade of trees, perfect for cooling off between activities!
ACTIVITIES AT CHEM CHEM SAFARI LODGE:
- Chem Chem offers an exciting variety of activities.
- Guided game drives and walking safaris are available in the lodge’s private reserve, in Lake Manyara National Park, and in Tarangire! This ensures sightings of a real wealth of wildlife.
- The reserve is home to a good assortment of predators and especially herbivores – it isn’t uncommon for guests to spot giraffe and zebra grazing on the plains just metres from the property!
- Birdlife is prolific too.
- Tarangire is most famous for the park’s elephant migration between June and October each year, but wildlife viewing is really exceptional all year round. Visitors can expect to see four of the Big Five – lion, leopard, elephant, and buffalo – as well as numerous smaller species and hundreds of birds.
- Lake Manyara is considered one of the prettiest parks in Safari Africa, and its major draws include vast flocks of flamingos and prides of tree-climbing lions!
- The lodge offers conservation safaris within the reserve, and staff members are happy to arrange hot air balloon rides and helicopter flights.
- Many cultural experiences are available too, from visiting local villages and schools to running with Maasai.
- Finally, there are lots of things to do for kids, such as tracking, spear throwing, making bows-and-arrows, and playing football!
- Meet the guides who will help you discover the beauty surrounding Chem Chem Safari Lodge here.
*This property is unfenced and located in a wildlife area, so large and potentially dangerous animals do pass through. If you opt to stay here, always be alert when walking around the camp and request for a member of staff to escort you if you have any concerns. Any guest is escorted after dark as a matter of course.