Ol Jogi is a fantastic option for travellers seeking super-luxurious and exclusive accommodation in Laikipia, with a massive amount of activities to enjoy.
ACCESS & LOCATION:
Ol Jogi is situated on a private ranch in South Laikipia, approximately 50 kilometres north-east of Nanyuki. Guests of Ol Jogi are flown to the property from Nairobi, on a private plane. This journey presents an opportunity to enjoy views of Laikipia on the way, not least the 23,000 hectares that make up Ol Jogi Ranch. The property itself has a fabulous location at the foot of a kopje amidst sprawling plains.
ACCOMMODATION & FACILITIES AT OL JOGI:
Ol Jogi provides seven private residences, each sleeping a maximum of two adults. These consist of detached stone cottages, positioned to one side of the communal building. Each has its own name – such as ‘Swara’ and ‘Simba’ – and is individually styled. The décor is every inch as luxurious as the interiors of the main lodge, just on a smaller scale. Sumptuous beds and bedding, very comfortable seating, cosy fireplaces, intriguing artefacts… these are a few features you can expect to enjoy. The en-suite facilities are very well appointed too. Additionally, the cottages benefit from amazing views over the ranch. At the front, a couple of sunloungers are set up, so you can lie back and feast your eyes on the scenery. There’s also outdoor dining furniture, for guests opting to request a romantic supper, for example. Some of the cottages have an indoor dining area too!
Constructed from timber, stone, and thatch, all of its buildings blend beautifully into the landscape. The communal facilities are housed in the largest structure and together provide an ultra-luxurious place to be! The main lounge defines lavish, with its plush seating, glass-topped coffee and occasional tables, elegant lighting, grand fireplace, and collection of wildlife figurines. There’s a TV room too, with satellite television and DVD library. The dining room contains sophisticated tables and chairs, and provides the ideal environment for tucking in to delicious meals prepared by the talented chef. Guests can dine outdoors too, in a tent with lovely views of the property’s well-kept gardens. Other amenities include a well-equipped gym, a spa, a steam room, and a swimming pool, landscaped to resemble a tropical paradise. There are first-rate business facilities as well. And there’s plenty to keep everyone amused between excursions, such as tennis, table tennis, billiards, and board games. You can even view wildlife from the property’s secret tunnel – perfect for getting a really close look!
ACTIVITIES AT OL JOGI:
The amount of activities available from Ol Jogi is very impressive.
- Game drives are possible by day and by night, and highlights include big cats, rhino, elephant, buffalo, giraffe, and the rare wild dog! Guests are also invited on bushwalks, for a closer look at the mammals, birds, plants, and insects of the ranch.
- Horseback safaris are on offer as well – or you can try off-road driving in one of Ol Jogi’s special off-terrain vehicles.
- You can visit the ranch’s centre for the rehabilitation of rescued animals and even track endangered rhinos on foot. Other wildlife encounters comprise birdwatching along the scenic Ewaso Ng’iro river and walking with baboons!
- Trips to Twala Cultural Centre can be arranged too, as can outings to Nanyuki to check out the curio shops and soak up the general ambience.
- At extra cost, you can take to the skies in Ol Jogi’s helicopter and set about exploring the region. Recommended excursions include Mount Kenya, the Samburu area, the Great Rift Valley, and Lake Bogoria with its vast flocks of flamingo! Staff members at the lodge are well able to help you plan these and many other trips.All the above activities are included in the price of your stay, together with bush lunches and dinners.
- Additional services, also not included in the rate, include yoga instruction, tennis instruction, spa treatments, rock-climbing training, camel riding, wine tasting, and really anything else you can dream up!
- You could even fit in a bit of gardening during your time here, as the chef prides himself on using fresh ingredients from the property’s own organic patch. And all special diets are accommodated.