Loisaba is one of many superb properties in the Elewana Collection, selected for its iconic location and unique accommodation. It is a great option for all types of travellers, including groups and families, and we love Loisaba for its fabulous location and outstanding attention to detail.
ACCESS & LOCATION:
Perched on the top of an escarpment, the property provides breathtaking views across plains, scrub, rivers, and woodland, as far as majestic Mount Kenya on the horizon!
ACCOMMODATION & FACILITIES AT LOISABA TENTED CAMP:
The communal areas of camp are set out in a large permanent tent. This has wooden floors and wooden beams supporting a high pitched canvas roof. The lounge/bar area features plenty of comfortable seating around coffee tables, with a few side tables for lamps, books, and various artefacts. The palette is mostly neutral, but with a few splashes of colour and some patterns, such as cow hide, to add a touch of African style! The lounge flows through to the open dining area, which has separate tables and elegant chairs placed to maximise the amazing views. A deck adjoins the lounge and dining space, with additional seating forming the perfect place to relax and gaze out across the plains. You can dine here too. Finally, a few steps down from the deck, there is an infinity pool that could win a prize for its setting! You might spend quite a lot of time in the water, simply marvelling at the scenery below.
Guest accommodation at Loisaba consists of twelve spacious tents. These too have wooden floors and beams, and a canvas roof. There are three possible family units that are made available by connecting two tents along a walkway, incorporating a private infinity pool! All tents are very well appointed, with bedside tables and lamps, plush rugs, a comfy lounge area, and en-suite facilities comprising flush toilet, twin washbasins, and large solar-heated rainfall shower. The décor, as in the main tent, is neutral with occasional colour and intriguing patterns. Outside, there is a veranda with sunloungers and a small table, ideal for sitting back and perhaps indulging in a glass of wine while enjoying those views!
The camp itself is exceptionally well run and guests are encouraged to relax and feel at home here. Food and drink is first rate, with a lot of dining choices. Children are welcome and well accommodated in the family unit.
ACTIVITIES AT LOISABA TENTED CAMP:
Loisaba offers lots of exciting activities, to ensure you get the most out of your stay.
- Game drives are possible during early morning and late afternoon.
- There is loads to see in this part of Kenya! The plains, streams, rivers, scrubs, woods, forests all provide habitat for a wonderful range of wildlife.
- All Big Five are here, in addition to cheetah, hyena, jackal, wild dog, giraffe, gazelle, oryx, zebra, and many more besides! The bird count is impressive too, numbering over 500 species.
- Guests can also explore the area via guided bush walks, horse riding, camel trekking, and mountain biking.
- You can go fishing too, in Laikipia’s rivers and dams – equipment is available from the lodge, as is a packed picnic!
- If you like to take in a little culture while on holiday, we recommend spending an afternoon at a local traditional Maasai village to observe their dancing, beadwork, and general way of life.
- And if you are interested in conservation, you will love getting to know the team of two sniffer dogs and their handlers that patrols Loisaba to ward off poachers. You can even watch dogs Warrior and Machine in training and see an anti-poaching demonstration.
- Elewana focuses a lot of effort in caring for the local community and it is well worth taking up opportunities to look behind the scenes, to appreciate all the work involved in maintaining the region.
All activities benefit from some seriously good guiding – Loisaba’s guides really know their stuff and they are happy to answer all your questions.