This brand new property welcomed its first guests in June 2018. Splash is run by Kwando Safaris, a company that prides itself on providing intimate camps with a highly personalised level of service. Properties in the Kwando Safaris portfolio include YZ favourites Lebala and Lagoon. Splash Camp offers accommodation to suit most types of travellers, and it will be open all year round.
ACCESS & LOCATION:
Access to the property will be from Kwara Airstrip, with the journey to camp taking about 40 minutes. Kwara private reserve is located in the heartlands of the Okavango Delta, and the new campsite is set up around a pan that attracts plenty of wildlife!
ACCOMMODATION & FACILITIES AT SPLASH CAMP:
The artist’s impression of the communal areas shows a wooden structure raised on stilts and with a deck for outdoor dining. We are informed that the interiors will be simply and elegantly decorated, with contemporary furniture complementing the camp’s atmosphere. There will also be an orientation centre and a curio shop. A plunge pool will be available too, perfect for cooling off in between activities! And the property’s fire pit will be great for gatherings after dinner. Additionally, there will be a satellite main area, designed for groups of 6–10 persons seeking an exclusive experience. This area, together with 3–5 rooms, will be known as Splash Enclave.
Guest accommodation at Splash will consist of ten standard rooms and two family rooms. All will be positioned around the pan and styled in the same way as the communal areas. They will be elevated above ground level too, creating a deck space complete with lounge chairs. Each standard room will have one bedroom and one washroom with flush toilet, twin washbasins, and indoor/outdoor showers. Both family rooms will benefit from two bedrooms and a shared bathroom. We will update this section once we have received further details!
ACTIVITIES AT SPLASH CAMP:
- Splash will offer an exciting assortment of land- and water-based activities. However, some of these activities will not be available during certain months of the year, so please contact a member of the YZ team to discuss the best time for you to visit.
- Game drives will take place during the day and the night, providing opportunities to check out the fine assortment of predators and herbivores in residence within Kwara. The reserve occupies some 175,000 hectares of savanna, woodlands, floodplains, and permanent water bordering the Moremi Game Reserve, so there is no shortage of wildlife!
- Keen birders will love looking out for specials such as ostrich, sacred ibis, white-breasted cuckoo-shrike, and carmine bee-eater.
- Boat cruises and mokoro excursions will be wonderful for wildlife viewing too, while fishing will be possible for ten months of the year – it is prohibited during the breeding season, January and February. Walking will be a green-season activity, and at the discretion of Splash’s safari guides.
- And trips to the heronries of Godikwe and Gcobega lagoons will be offered from August to December – another thrill for birders!