Splash is run by Kwando Safaris, a company that prides itself on providing intimate camps with a highly personalized level of service. Properties in the Kwando Safaris portfolio include YZ favorites Lebala and Lagoon. Splash Camp offers accommodation to suit most types of travelers and is open all year round.
ACCESS & LOCATION:
Access to the property is from Kwara Airstrip, with the journey to camp taking about 50 minutes. Kwara private reserve is located in the heartlands of the Okavango Delta, and the new campsite is set up around a pan that attracts plenty of wildlife!
ACCOMMODATION & FACILITIES AT SPLASH CAMP:
Splash Camp's communal area is a wooden structure raised on stilts, with a deck. The interiors are simple yet elegantly decorated, with contemporary furniture complementing the camp’s atmosphere. The dining area has a long table for communal dining, there is a casual raised seating area, and an area with several high bar tables and stools, where afternoon tea is served. There is an orientation center and a curio shop. The communal swimming pool is located between the main areas and the guest tents. It is perfect for cooling off in between activities. The property’s fire pit is great for gatherings, especially for pre-dinner drinks, after-dinner chats, and in the morning before the early game drive. Additionally, there is a satellite main area, designed for groups of 6–10 persons seeking an exclusive experience. This area, together with 3–5 rooms, is known as Splash Enclave.
Guest accommodation at Splash consists of ten standard rooms and two family rooms. All are positioned around the pan and styled in the same way as the communal areas. They are elevated above ground level too, creating a deck space complete with lounge chairs. Each standard room has one bedroom and one washroom with flush toilet, twin washbasins, and indoor/outdoor showers. Both family rooms benefit from two bedrooms and a shared bathroom.
ACTIVITIES AT SPLASH CAMP:
- Splash offers an exciting assortment of land- and water-based activities. However, some of these activities will not be available during certain months of the year, so please contact a member of the YZ team to discuss the best time for you to visit.
- Game drives take place during the day and the night, providing opportunities to check out the fine assortment of predators and herbivores in residence within Kwara. The reserve occupies some 175,000 hectares of savanna, woodlands, floodplains, and permanent water bordering the Moremi Game Reserve, so there is no shortage of wildlife!
- Keen birders will love looking out for specials such as ostrich, sacred ibis, white-breasted cuckoo-shrike, and carmine bee-eater.
- Boat cruises and mokoro excursions are wonderful for wildlife viewing too, while fishing will be possible for ten months of the year – it is prohibited during the breeding season, January and February. Walking is a green-season activity and at the discretion of Splash’s safari guides.
- And trips to the heronries of Godikwe and Gcobega lagoons are offered from August to December – another thrill for birders!
*This property is unfenced and located in a wildlife area, so large and potentially dangerous animals do pass through. If you opt to stay here, always be alert when walking around the camp and request for a member of staff to escort you if you have any concerns. Any guest is escorted after dark as a matter of course.