Opened in December 2014, Buhoma was constructed by the Buhoma Mukono Community Development Association. Children of all ages are welcome, with youngsters aged 5 years and younger staying for free! The minimum age requirement for gorilla treks is 15 years, but there are lots of other things to do.
ACCESS & LOCATION:
Buhoma Community Haven Lodge is situated in the north region of Bwindi Impenetrable National Park, just 5 minutes from Buhoma village. It can be accessed via either scheduled or chartered flight from Entebbe International Airport to Kihihi or Kayonza airstrip. Once you have touched down, the road transfer time to the lodge is 90–120 minutes from Kihihi and 50 minutes from Kayonza.
ACCOMMODATION & FACILITIES AT BUHOMA COMMUNITY HAVEN LODGE:
Guest accommodation consists of six double or twin cottages and one family cottage. Constructed using local materials, all cottages blend beautifully with the forest surroundings. Each is elevated well above ground level, creating the feeling of being in a treehouse once you have arrived inside! Both standard and family options benefit from comfy beds, mosquito nets, eco-friendly solar lighting, insect-proof window screens, and a safe. The en-suite facilities comprise flush toilet, spacious washbasin, and walk-in shower and/or bathtub. At the front of each cottage, there is a pleasant veranda, perfect for taking time in between activities to enjoy spectacular forest views!
Buhoma’s communal lodge is also made mostly out of wood. It’s a two-storey structure, just a short stroll from the guest cottages. Inside, the lounge contains well-cushioned wood-framed seating around coffee tables, a few stools, some books and games, and a cosy fireplace. The well-stocked bar is set up along the back wall of the lounge, and it provides free Wi-Fi and recharging facilities. Adjoining the lounge/bar is the restaurant, with tables of various sizes and sturdy wooden chairs. The lodge is open sided, so guests can marvel at the scenery while relaxing, having a drink, and tucking into a delicious meal. Buhoma prides itself on tasty and filling cuisine, offering hearty breakfasts, generous picnic packs, and five-course evening meals! Complimentary teas and coffees are also available. Finally, there’s a massage room and a great little shop stocking souvenirs and postcards.
ACTIVITIES AT BUHOMA COMMUNITY HAVEN LODGE:
Buhoma offers a wonderful range of activities!
- Gorilla trekking is the main reason to visit Bwindi, but there are loads of other things to do here. Treks start off early in the morning, to allow ample time to locate the gorillas. A minimum of two hours is usually required, increasing to as much as eight hours if the gorillas have decided to base themselves high up in Bwindi’s mountains. The terrain can be tricky – if necessary, you can hire a walking stick from the lodge. Trekkers are allotted an hour for observing the gorillas as they feed, rest, and play. This is a very special experience, and well worth the effort of a long hike!
- Other activities available are forest walks, bird and butterfly watching, and community visits.
- Buhoma’s 3–4-hour walk to a waterfall is highly recommended, and you can view all sorts of wildlife on the way. Bwindi has over 350 bird species and more than 200 types of butterfly!
- A cultural walk is also on offer, during which you can learn all about the traditions of the local Batwa people.
- This is complemented by village walks, with highlights such as meeting the healer and checking out the banana brewery, as well as a trip to the local hospital.
*This property is unfenced and located in a wildlife area, so large and potentially dangerous animals do pass through. If you opt to stay here, always be alert when walking around the camp and request for a member of staff to escort you if you have any concerns. Any guest is escorted after dark as a matter of course.